Chapter 63

Lodin stared at the small, scaly creature. How did it get in? And how in the world did it know where to go?

"What in the seven levels of Hell is that- that beast doing in here!" Victoria squealed, backing away from the hatchling quickly. "Get it out!"

"I am sorry for the disturbance, my king. I will see the hatchling out immediately," the guard said as he hurried in.

The dragon immediately bounded away from the guard and over to Lodin. It stared meaningfully at him for a moment, then lightly bit into his clothes and tugged.

Lodin stood up then, meeting the eyes of the scrambling guard. "Leave it." He turned his gaze to the drake again. What could it possibly want?

Basuril bounced around Lodin and began pushing his back, forcing him towards the door - surprisingly powerful for its size.

"Lodin!" Victoria called, her voice trembling with genuine fear. "Guard, stop that beast!"

The guard looked helplessly to the king, who simply shook his head.

"I will follow you," he simply told the little dragon over his shoulder as he passed the threshold to the hall.

It yipped at him and took off at no light pace. Whatever was going on had to go fast, it seemed. He almost ran to keep up with the drake, who moved through the halls with such purpose. When it moved to a certain wing, he understood.

"Has something happened to Ciara, Basuril?" It only glanced back at him for a moment before speeding up even further. "Hells."

Even Lodin ran, understanding where the drake was trying to take him. It had barely been an hour since he'd seen the princess. What could she have gotten herself into?

He ground to a complete halt when the first ominous signs hit him. Those two guards on the floor weren't moving an inch.

He hurried into the room he'd lived in for so many seasons. And it felt so wrong from how it usually did. The way the linens laid untouched on the bed. The empty couch. The broken glass on the floor.

He went to that very glass. It had held its share of water. He could see that by what was left on the pieces. The carpeted floor was completely dry.

Lodin clenched his jaw and stormed out on the balcony, coming eye-to-eye with Kaisog. The dragon stared fiercely back at him.

"Would you be able to find her?"

It snorted and nodded, growling under its breath. They were of like minds, then.

"Good." He turned around to go meet it on the ground.

As soon as he strode out of the room, he found Sergon and Narza coming towards him. Perfect.

"You two will watch this castle." He didn't stop to give them their orders. "No one will enter or leave the castle walls until Ciara is found and returned."

"Yes, your majesty," Narza quickly agreed, the two of them turning and falling into his pace.

"Where will you go?"

"I am going on a search with Kaisog."

"May I join you, my king?" Alex joined them from down another hall.

Lodin looked over at him. Another set of eyes and another sword would be good. Just in case.

"Please do."