Chapter 44

It'd been several days since she'd been assigned new guards. Although, on rotation, so they didn't have to pull anyone away from training for long.

She could hardly believe how young most of them were. How someone at their age even got accepted into the Royal Guard was beyond her. Most seemed younger than even she was.

That said, they were usually kind enough. More respectful of the difference in status, but that was to be expected. Maybe also more timid than what she was used to.

On the way outside - with two young men trailing behind her at a respectful distance - she passed by a pair of Dragon Slayers. She smiled slightly and gave them a single nod in greeting as usual.

Expectedly, she was only given disdainful looks in return. As usual.

She sighed and turned her gaze to the ground.

"You know how that pink beast is gone?" one of them spoke as soon as they passed her, uncaring of how she stiffened.

"Yeah?"

"Never have I been more relieved," the first said. "If it had been here any longer, I may just have been unable to hold myself back," he said, his tone of voice as dark as the deepest shadows.

"I know what you mean." The other snorted. "It is so selfish of that snotty brat to even have one here, risking all of our lives, but two? She has no clue what it is like for us."

"Definitely. It is crazy," the first agreed. "I cannot help but wonder though. With someone like Mistress Victoria around, what the hell do you need a brat for?"

"Just you wait and see. It will not be long until the king realizes she is far more trouble than she is worth," the second said as they burst into laughter.

Even if they had more to say, Ciara didn't want to hear it. She was already well on her way out. Running, almost.

Ever since Sergon and the king left on their trip to the borders, the Dragon Slayer had been anything but subtle with their hatred for her and her beloved friends. It didn't help matters with the new guards either. Alex and Elias would've supported or stood up for her, these guys hardly even batted an eye.

How should she handle it? Those guys could never be convinced of anything; they were far too bitter. They didn't bother to hide it at all.

But at least they were open about their disdain. What about those who weren't as outspoken about their opinions. How many did they number? How could she change their opinions?

She couldn't help returning to the thoughts she'd had when she'd only just gotten here.

Was it even possible?

She burst out of the doors and into the sunlight, immediately meeting Kaisog's eyes from where he lay under the willow. She quickly ran the last bit to him, wrapping her arms around him. He whimpered in response to the emotions he could no doubt smell wafting from her.

She clenched her eyes shut, fighting the tears just a little harder. She knew it was a lost cause, but she didn't want to worry him any more than necessary.

After all, he missed everyone - Alex, Elias and Sunrose - just as much as she did. It just wasn't the same with those two warily eyeing them from so far away. She felt like she was constantly under scrutiny.

What would it have been like if Kaisog, her brother and closest friend through so many years, had been here as he should've been?

He wouldn't let the Dragon Slayers' jabbing pass. He would've fought it every step of the way and eventually made them stop altogether. He would've always been by her side - neither Sergon nor anyone else could possibly drag him away.

They would've had so much fun right now, flying on each of their dragons up in the sky, playing around just as they had been once.

But... He wasn't here. And she was all the weaker for it.

Princess of Dragonsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें