Chapter 23

"Are you really sure you want to do this? Everyone would understand it if you do not feel well enough," Sergon promised Ciara as she slowly swung her feet out from under the covers and onto the cold floor. For the first time since being hit with that arrow, actually, even if it was already a bit over a dozen days and nights ago she woke up.

She smiled reassuringly at him, feeling the sweat already running down her back in droplets and hoping he wouldn't notice.

"I am sure," she assured him. "Besides, I am sure the fresh air will do me some good as well." She'd been cooped up in this room, under those very same covers all this time. With few, heavily guarded baths sprinkled here and there.

She grimaced lightly when she got on her feet, feeling the shift in her stiff muscles as they evened out.

The effects of the ointment had long since vanished, leaving her to fend off the pain with the scent of lavender alone. The shoulder had gotten a little better, but it was still incredibly painful to move it around sometimes.

That, and the last pair of days, she'd come down with a pretty heavy fever. An expected and necessary part of the healing process, she'd been told. Even if that was true, it didn't make it any more fun.

But right now, she felt well enough to get up. Which she figured would be an ideal chance to try to calm Kaisog down at least a little, since neither Alex nor Elias had had any luck with it.

She could stand just fine now, but as soon as she took the first step, her legs buckle under her. All that kept her from the floor at that very moment was the steady grip Sergon quickly got around her waist.

"Take it easy, Ciara."

She smiled up at him. "Thank you, Sergon." He really was a worrywart, but the most reliable one she knew.

She allowed herself to lean into him a little as they slowly moved towards the door that kept her separated from her scaly friend.

It was slow, but every step left her walking just a little more upright than the last. It was nice to finally have the chance to move around a little again. The feeling of her limbs popping back into place almost blissful.

Sergon reached out ahead of them and quickly pushed the door out of their way. The outside immediately washed over her, cooling her otherwise hot and damp skin. Not to mention allowed her to breathe in the prickly, fresh air.

Sergon glanced down at her with a bit of a frown.

"Tell me if you start to freeze. It has gotten quite a bit colder the last few days." He looked up at the sky, where the sun was concealed by a layer of gray clouds.

She looked ahead at the big willow and the big, black blob lying underneath it, shaking her head. He was such a simple drake.

"I will, I promise."

She watched with a giggle as the dragon immediately reacted to her voice. His startling, yellow eyes darted to the balcony as he lifted his head from the ground. As soon as he saw her waving at him, he jumped to his feet with a squeal, easily reaching their level with his long neck. He gave her the brightest of smiles before leaning in and pressing his giant snout into her torso - and partly Sergon's as he was so close to her.

She couldn't help grinning herself when he started purring contently, his scales rattling with the deep sound.

"I missed you too, my friend."

She disentangled herself from Sergon and instead spreading her arms out and around the drake's snout, using him for support instead. Carefully, she let her forehead rest against his scales, letting the coolness of them comfort her burning skin just a little. He even went and nudged her a little, wanting to do the same.

A smile spread across her lips when a certain sound caught her ear. His tail was thumping the ground repeatedly and quickly.

She pulled back far enough to meet his eyes again.

"I am okay now, you know. I am getting better," she softly told him. "You do not have to worry so, I am in good hands." The drake yelped at that.

"We tried telling him the same earlier, however he refused to move an inch from that spot, no matter who asked." Sergon watched their exchange with a soft expression. "I doubt he has gotten any sleep at all, nor been eating properly, so he has been quite irritable recently." He snorted at the end, probably to lighten the message a little.

She turned back to the drake with a frown. "Even if I am ill, I need you to take care of yourself, Kaisog," she softly reprimanded him. "I will only be more worried if you do not. So, promise me you will take care of yourself from now on, okay?"

The dragon grumbled for a bit, searching her expression, then nodded slowly, eyes downcast.

She smiled lightly at him, gingerly running a hand over the scales at his nostril.

"Good, I am glad for that," she told him. "Now, you still want to help me change everyone's minds, do you not?" She laughed when he nodded his head vigorously, nearly knocking her off her feet. "Okay, then I will need you to be on your best behavior always, no matter what may happen to me." She watched his serious expression as he listened to her intently. "So, no snapping or growling at anyone working here; they get really scared if you do that."

Kaisog whined lowly and averted his gaze from her, pulling away a little.

She sighed lightly. "I am not angry with you, you know. I only want everything to work out."

She lightly wrapped her arms around herself to combat the sudden cold. The action wasn't as covert as she'd hoped for, however.

"You should go back inside and rest, Ciara," Sergon reached over to help support her weight. His hands were strikingly cool on her bare skin, which only seemed to worry him even more. To the point where he was trying to pull her inside already.

Having close to no strength left in her to fight against it, she let herself be guided back to her room one step at a time. Before stepping over the threshold, however, and into the wonderful warmth, she looked at the dragon over her shoulder and gave him a smile.

Even as Sergon helped her back under the covers again, she knew she was of no assistance whatsoever. She was grateful for his help, unquestioning as it was.

She gave him a smile she hoped showed everything she felt once she was comfortable under the covers.

"Thank you so much, Sergon."

Though her limbs were heavy, she was exhausted and her fever probably might have risen, she had needed both the fresh air and to talk with Kaisog. Not to mention to stretch her legs. She couldn't have done any of that just now if it hadn't been for his support.

"It was my pleasure." He smiled softly, pulling the blanket up above her shoulders and tucking her in.

She smiled wider at his kind gesture, his gentleness around her wound not going unnoticed by her.

"Kaisog should behave as he is supposed to from now on. If not, then I will try again."

Ultimately, she could just as much dictate what Kaisog would do as she could the king, but she had a feeling she'd gotten through to her scaly friend well enough.

Sergon nodded. "I am sure he will be just fine, Ciara." He pushed her down gently. "Now, you are burning up. You need to rest."

She laughed lightly as she wiggled into the comfortable bedding.

"I will, I will," she promised him, earning herself a satisfied smile in return.

Just then, the loud roar of a dragon that was much too far away to be Kaisog sounded from the outside. The unmistakable sound of a truly furious dragon.

She looked to Sergon worriedly, getting ready to get up despite her current state, only for a firm grip on her good shoulder to keep her down. Sergon shook his head.

"Do not worry about it this time, Ciara. I, the king, Alex, Elias and Kaisog will figure this one out. Just relax and trust us."

Though she didn't like any of this one bit, she nodded and resigned herself to the bed.

"All right."

She quietly watched him walk out of the door in long, brisk strides, closing it quietly after him.