Chapter 26

"So this big guy is Kaisog, huh?" Aem ran a hand over the black dragon's snout. He turned to Ciara again. "He was the one who brought you here back then, right?"

She nodded gingerly. "Yes, he was. He has not left my side ever since."

Aem looked back at her again. "You finally found him, the dragon you would bond with. And after all your searching too." He chuckled and shook his head. "I remember when you were just a girl and you would run up to any and all dragons, asking them to bond with you," he said reminiscently. "It was adorable."

She glared lightly at him. "Please, that was a long time ago."

He grinned at her, clearly having the time of his life teasing her. He even went and opened his mouth to continue.

Only for Kaisog to nudge his back just barely hard enough for him to lose balance and fall over.

Ciara laughed at her brother and then again when Sunrose came over and snapped at Kaisog for hurting her friend.

That stopped as well when Aem got up with a laugh.

"Sure is a protective one you got there, C." He gave the drake a grin. Not that he had any room to talk.

She smiled. "Sure is."

"Protective and a bit of a kid," he summed up, not having to have known the dragon for long to tell that much. "Pretty much just like you." He grinned, which only awarded him another glare. "So, why the name?"

She paused for a moment, not having expected the question. It wasn't one she'd been asked before.

"I guess it just fit him," she slowly said, searching for the way she felt back when she gave him the name. "And it also allows Kaisog to still watch over me through him. He does not feel so far away."

She'd never spoken it out loud or thought it explicitly, but she had no doubt that was a part of it. She hadn't been entirely prepared to let go.

Aem remained silent for a moment following that, his gaze dropping to the ground.

"You must have been awfully lonely."

She nodded, a faint smile on her lips. "I was." Her voice was thick with emotions she could barely fight. "But I had this Kaisog, Sergon and quite soon also Alex and Elias." She turned and looked at the two guards in question, who were keeping a respectful distance from them. "They all - and the maids too - have been making sure I feel right at home here. So really, I do not feel alone at all anymore."

He smiled gently at her. "I am glad to hear that at least," he said. "What about the one supposed to be your husband, though?"

"Well." She released a puff of air. "He is... difficult, as I told you. But I feel like I am getting a little closer to him, even if I am doing so slowly." Maybe all the arguing the two of them had been doing had served to make her more comfortable here as well.

He nodded slowly. "Right." He paused. "Well, I think I should stay here for a while myself then."

Her eyes widened. "What? Why?" She'd just finished telling him how well she was doing here, and that's how he reacts?

"At the very least until I am sure you are all healed up again." He looked pointedly at her shoulder.

She sighed to herself. As if she'd believe that was all he was here for.

"Of course, I will also have to see for myself exactly what this king is planning with the war and whether those damned Slayers can keep themselves contained."

She internally rolled her eyes. He never changed.

"So, what of everyone else? Should you not hurry back there and give them a report?" If they'd sent Aem himself, there was no doubt they were so concerned even he couldn't be allowed to disobey.