Chapter 36

"I never thought I would see such a sight in my life," Sergon said, not for the first time.

After her dance with the king had ended, Ciara had pulled away to the edge of the room, where she found the Commander of the Royal Guard.

"To think the day would come when Lodin willingly went to dance."

"Is it really so unthinkable of him to do so?" she asked.

The room had been so quiet when the dance had started and so noisy when it ended. It didn't seem enough that he was the king to make such a commotion, that was true.

Sergon nodded wildly. "Certainly. In all my time of knowing him, he has never stepped out there unless it was strictly necessary of him."

If that was true, then that meant the king had found what she did serious enough for him to have to go and do something like that. Something he probably hated more than anything else.

"I see," she muttered.

What if having done that was enough? Just because she shared a dance with a friend.

Just then, the doors creaked in the tell-tale sound of someone's arrival. The whole room silenced as they all stared up at the balcony. As Ciara turned to do the same, she felt the hairs on her neck stand on end.

On the balcony she and the king had been standing on a little over an hour ago now stood the slender from of Victoria herself. Her dress was a bold red - the only red dress in the entire room - and unlike all others, it also fit snugly down past her hips and only flaring out then. Small stones littered the top and long sleeves, starting just past her tanned shoulders and down till the skirt flared out. It glittered and demanded total attention in the flickering light.

Never in her life had Ciara seen anything like this dress. On any other, she was sure it'd send quite a different message, but Victoria could wear it. And the woman knew it.

Everyone continued to remain silent as she slowly stepped down the staircase, the trail of fabric following her and making her even more elegant.

"Bold of you, Victoria." Sergon's arms were crossed and his gaze unimpressed.

"She can wear it," Ciara replied, not even sure the Commander could hear her at all.

She could see Sergon looking down at her from her peripheral. "This kind of attention is not something to be wished for." He turned back to Victoria briskly. "That is not something you wear so lightly in the Royal Palace," he stated, his tone firm in a way she was certain it never had been in her presence.

She didn't get the chance to reply to or wonder about these words as one of his subordinates came running over.

"Commander! Your presence is required out in the courtyard."

Sergon directed his gaze to the guard.

"What is it?"

The guard glanced around before answering.

"It is the lord of Chrysanthemum, Commander."

Sergon sighed deeply. "Again now?" The subordinate only nodded. "I will be there in a moment," Sergon promised and then looked to her. "I will be back as soon as I can."

She mustered up a smile. "You do not have to worry, I will be fine."

He gave her a short nod, then hurried off with the other guard, leaving her to herself again.

Her gaze quickly returned to Victoria again, who was making her way through the crowd, which was parting for her just as it had the king himself. Even towards the man in question.