Chapter 6

"My king!" A guard burst right through the large doors to the throne-room, where the king had been talking with Commander Sergon, and Narza. Before the king could admonish the guard for exploding through the door without presenting himself first, the man continued where he'd left off. "A raging dragon has landed in the middle of the courtyard!"

"A what?" was the only thing Lodin could say.

"I thought you told them not to arrive on the backs of those beasts." Narza glared at the Commander.

"I did. Something must have gone wrong." His lips were set in a grim line as he moved towards the doors at no light pace.

From what Lodin had been told of the girl, though she might be young, she should've understood not to do that. Her parents and the guards with her had as well. It had to have been a last resort for them. And the fact that the dragon was raging worried him. They should be able to control those creatures, shouldn't they?

Though the Commander of the Royal Guard didn't slow down to make sure anyone was following him, Lodin quickly followed. Whether this was their fault or simply a random dragon, it was still serious.

It was rare to see Sergon so determined and focused on a singular thing in this way as well. Lodin found it a little difficult to even keep up with the man.

However, they quickly made it outside to a sight he hadn't thought he'd see in a million years.

A big, black dragon was snarling, growling and snapping at anyone who got too close. Its long tail swished behind it, knocking the Dragon Slayers surrounding it off their feet. Yet it didn't move from its spot. Its anger was only made worse with the pounding of rain and flashes of light from the sky.

"What is going on here? Dragons never land around here," the king asked as he came to a stop next to Sergon, who'd done the same as he stared at the sight before them.

"I have no clue."

If the princess and those guards of hers had been with it, they'd have calmed the creature down long ago. But if they weren't here, then why was the dragon?

Suddenly, Sergon broke through the line-up of Dragon Slayers, getting a better view of the situation. Lodin carefully followed, his hand resting at his sword's handle.

It seemed some had attempted getting closer to it and throwing their spears at it, but they had either been blown away, snapped like a twig or fallen uselessly to the ground, unable to pierce its scales. This one was a strong fighter, it left no openings. It was keeping awfully low to the ground, though.

That was when he saw it. A bright flash of silvery-white under one of its wings, which were doubling as its front feet. What in the world could that be?

Sergon, on the other hand, gasped with a hard look coloring his eyes. "Hells. None of you may harm that dragon! Fall back!" he shouted as he suddenly unclasped the sheath holding his sword.

"Just what the hell do you think you are doing commanding my men, Sergon? That thing out there is a dragon – of course they should kill it! That is their job!" Arthas, said men's Commander, furiously stated as he marched towards them with a flaming torch in his hand.

"What I would like to know is what you expect to do without your sword?" Lodin asked, his arms crossed as he kept his skeptic gaze on his friend, worried for his mental health.

"It is protecting the princess. One of your men could misfire and hit her. That cannot be allowed," Sergon answered the other Commander, loud enough for everyone around them to hear. Not that they did anything without their actual Commander's orders. "As for the sword," he paused, looking to Lodin. "I am simply doing what she taught me." He turned his gaze back to the dragon, which had its eyes on them as well. It probably knew who was in charge out of all of them by now.