Chapter 5 - Bishop Returns

TW: EXTREMELY BRIEF MENTION OF KIDNAPPING AND RAPE. IF TRIGGERED DO NOT READ

Tim and Lucy had been working together for about 4 years now, and the professional barrier wasn't so much a barrier as a challenge: they knew it, their friends knew it, the whole god damn station knew that Lucy and Tim were not just any partners. They weren't together per say, but they weren't just "boss and rookie" anymore. You could say they were friends. There were smiles and laughs, with some tentative but natural flirting thrown into the mix.

Talia Bishop had left about 1 year into the rookies' training. Nolan had been assigned to Angela, and life went on. Lucy and Jackson had graduated into P2's, with Nolan following soon after.

They all had their fair share of mishaps over the past few years, bright faces eager to learn more every day.

But Jackson's sudden death had sobered them all up pretty quickly into stony-faced officers, guards thrown up clumsily in the haste to prevent breaking down whenever they came across something that reminded them of Jackson. Self preservation had reared it's ugly head. Very quickly, anger had broken self preservation's neck and ground it's boot into the corpse. Later, grief would find them in the middle of a busy street on a sunny day. Then, it would fade to a gentle whisper on an autumn breeze; a reminder of what was.

Out of John and Lucy though, Lucy had been the closest to Jackson, and she found it hardest to stay strong and straight faced when presented with anything she remotely associated with him.

Often, especially on the job, when they came across so many different scenarios, Lucy turned to Tim for support, for which he was always there for.

Lucy's orange car had broken down the day before, and she had stressed deeply about it, before calling Tim, who had offered to give her rides there and back from the station until she could get it fixed.

But, today looked like a good day. The sun was high in the sky, it was a long summer day, the sun would be up for hours yet.

After they were dismissed from parade, Tim and Lucy headed for the armory to set up the shop for the day. During parade, it had been announced that a former officer who had been transferred would be returning for the day, accompanied by two rookies, and a P2, as a learning experience.

Quite a few officers had been transferred over the past 4 years, as was common with seasonal changes.

Light chatter filling the corridors, Tim focused on Lucy's voice.

"I think it might be Mack, he left last year right? Or maybe Jay? When was she transferred?"

"I'm not sure, I can barely even remember who comes and goes anymore," said Tim, cracking a smile. Lucy grinned back, huffing, but continued on her ramble.

"And what do you think the rookies will be like? Know-it-all's, or utter sillies?"

"Honestly Lucy, I don't know, we'll see when we meet them, let get a move on, they'll probably already be on patrol, we might get a call with them during shift."

Nodding, Lucy stepped out, and hurried towards the shop. Tim was driving today, so she loaded up the back and hopped in beside him.

--

A few quiet hours had passed, the occasional quiet chatter coming in from the walkie talkies. They'd sat mostly in comfortable silence. After Lucy's suggestion of a long lunch, Tim began to pull the shop into a restaurant they frequented often. However just as he began to turn in, a call came in on the radio requesting that they attend a murder scene, just a few streets down.

Tim and Lucy shared a look, as she fired up the sirens, watching all the cars move out of the way.

They arrived on the scene, a few cars following, and ambulance pulling up across the street. Tape was already up, even though they were some of the first responders.