Chapter 16 - A Sneeze in Time

Dedicated to bgo152

"Serve and protect!" Grey finished as he did every day, but was immediately countered with a quiet sneeze from Lucy Chen.

"Sorry sir," she whisper yelled, and Greys eyes twinkled in amusement.

"Bless you Chen," he said smiling.

Then he looked up addressing the rest of the room.

"Dismissed!"

Everyone rose, exiting the room.

"So what did you do last night?" She asked him.

"Did you see the Dodgers game last night? It was fire," he stated.

"You know very well I do not watch football unless the Bears are playing," she shrugged, and sneezed right after.

"Bless you," said Tim automatically.

He blinked, and looked at her. "Are you okay? You've sneezed twice in the last ten minutes. "

She nodded, saying, "Yeah, I'm fine,"

---

As they drove back in after their last call from the shift, Lucy coughed, then sniffed.

"Lucy, you've been coughing and sneezing all day, are you sure you're okay?" Tim asked, unsure.

"Yes, I promise I'm fine, " she instisted.

"If you say so," Tim said, a disbelieving expression on his face.

----

The next morning, Lucy wasn't in roll call, and didn't call in to tell anybody where she was.

After asking around, Tim conceded that Lucy hadn't been seen or heard from since yesterday night.

Excusing himself after duties were dished out, he pulled out his phone and called her.

She picked up on the fifth ring, which was unusual for Lucy - she usually answered straight away.

"Chen, where are you?" asked Tim.

"Hm?" On the other end of the phone, she sounded tired and stuffy.

"It's almost nine o'clock," Tim explained.

"Oh shit!" She cursed, then apologized immediately after. "I'll be there in half an hour,"

"No wait, Chen, you don't sound good. You sound sick. Are you okay?"

"It's just a bit of a cold, I'm fine," from her voice though, Tim could tell that she most certainly was not 'fine'.

"Lucy Chen, do not get out of your bed. I am coming over to your house to make sure of that. Do you understand me?" He asked making his point clear.

"Uh- yes?"

"Okay, I'll be there in ten, bye," he finished, before hanging up.

Leaning through the door, here Grey was finishing roll call, he interrupted before he dismissed them.

"Sir, I've just heard from Chen, she's okay, but down bad with a nasty cold. I'm going over to check on her now, but I should be back by lunchtime?"

"Go, Bradford, make sure she's okay," he said shooing him away. As he left he heard Grey let them go.

---

Pulling up to the apartment block, and jogging up the stairs, as he raised his hand up to the hanging plantpot to retrieve the spare key he had asked Nolan about, the door opened and Lucy stumbled out, jumping in fright when she saw Tim stood there.