Turned

EJ's pov

After leaving the cafe, we took a taxi to the villa I'd rented using one of my aliases of which Father has no knowledge.

"Why are we staying here in such a big house instead of a hotel or resort or something?" the plebeian who supposedly shares some of my DNA questioned whinily.

"Because we're not hill people," I stated matter-of-factly.

Claire rolled her eyes in response as she muttered under her breath, "Don't know what the heck that means but, whatever. Sorry I asked."

Taking her bag and mine, I deposited them in our respective bedrooms before returning to the living room to address my bratty niece.

"Sit down," I said, pointing to the couch. "We need to talk about some things."

"Alright," she replied hesitantly, as she sat eyeing me with suspicion. "Like what?"

"Like the reason we're here and my rules and expectations," I replied sternly.

"I thought we were just taking a short trip," the buffoon chimed in, proffering her unsolicited, useless observation.

Exhaling forcefully, I shook my head. Be patient EJ, I reminded myself. Your awesomeness hasn't rubbed off on her yet. Hopefully, someday she'll shed her woeful ignorance and demonstrate the poise, strength, and knowledge required for me to willingly admit we're related. Maybe it'll happen sometime this century. Maybe. Seeing the look of bewilderment on her face, I decided to persevere.

"No, we're not just taking a short trip. I'll explain everything in a minute."

"Then can I have my phone back?" she questioned, clueless as usual.

"No, now shut-up and listen because I'm not going to repeat myself. Capiscimi (Understand me)?" I don't have the patience for this right now, or ever if I'm being honest with myself.

"Si signore (Yes sir)," the waif responded, respectfully for once.

Swallowing hard, I tried to muster the courage to say what I'd been dreading since I put this plan into motion. Why is this so difficult? This uncle role has made me soft. Well, here goes nothing.

"Claire, we are not returning to Italy or the States. This is your home for now, until the need arises for us to move on. You will never see nor speak to your grandfather, aunt, or father ever again or any of your friends for that matter, including your little boyfriend," I blurted out quickly, taking the ripping off a band-aid approach. Now bracing myself for the fallout, I tensed up as I awaited my niece's vehement opposition to my proclamation.

Surprising me with her response, she just laughed and said, "Ha ha very funny, Uncle EJ." Seeing the look on my face as I stood silently, she quickly became worried. "You're joking right? I mean, there's no fucking way you can be serious right now," she said, starting to become angry as she panicked, coming to the realization that this wasn't one of my pranks. "I already lost my mom, haven't seen my dad in several months, and now you want to take my aunt, grandfather, and friends away from me too? This has to be some kind of sick joke that only Brits find humorous," she spat with attitude.

"I'm not joking, Claire. I need you to understand and believe everything I'm telling you." I tried to sound firm but compassionate at the same time. I know how difficult it's going to be for her to accept her new reality. Her entire world's been turned upside down in the past year and a half.

"No." She shook her head and scoffed. "No, you must be joking. I don't believe you and this isn't funny," she said, balling her little fists at her side as she stood to angrily confront me. "You're lying. I know you are. ADMIT IT, UNCLE EJ! TELL ME YOU'RE LYING AND THIS IS ALL SOME SORT OF SICK, TWISTED JOKE THAT'S PART OF YOUR WEIRD BRITISH SENSE OF HUMOR!"