Confused

Claire's pov

Once we arrived back at our picnic spot, Luciano grabbed the basket without saying a word and continued walking in the direction of our car. When I saw my aunt struggling to bend and pick up our picnic blankets her husband wantonly left behind, I rushed to help her. We quickly folded them up and hustled to catch up to my pissed off uncle. I think my aunt and I both know now would not be a good time to test him by dragging our feet.

The car ride home was deathly quiet. My new uncle was mad, my aunt was sad, and I was beyond confused by the events that just transpired between the newlyweds at that picnic table. Is this what they call a lover's spat, like in the romance novels I read? If it is, it seems really scary and intense, not at all lighthearted and petty, like they make it seem in the books. I really don't like the way my uncle put his hands on my aunt. I mean he sure seemed angry from where I stood, even though I couldn't see that well from down by the creek. Hell, he still seems angry, or at a minimum, thoroughly perturbed.

When we get back to the mansion I'm gonna talk to my dad about what happened. Maybe he can help me understand better since he was married once too. I'm sure my mom had to have pissed him off a time or two while they were together. Uncle Luciano pulled up to the entrance of the mansion, put the car in park, and turned in his seat to give me a look like 'well get the f out', so I did.

Before I could even fully close my door, I heard him say in a menacing low tone, "I don't want to hear one word out of you, Alexandra, before we get home."

Swallowing hard, I waved to my aunt from the front stoop and called out, "Bye!" I hope Luciano doesn't think his house is gonna be my aunt's house too, cuz that would really suck. I want my aunt to live here with us, especially after the baby's born. I walked in the house to see my dad sitting on the sofa in the living room reading a book. Huh, that's funny, I thought. Usually it's my uncle who's reading since that's what he likes to do in his free time. Well, one of the things anyway. Come to think of it, I don't really know what my dad likes to do in his free time. He never seems to have any. He's always working or on his phone.

"Ciao, bella (Hi, beautiful)," my father greeted me smiling.

"Hi, Daddy," I replied softly.

Setting his book down, he patted the spot next to him on the sofa.

"Come sit, bambina (baby girl), and tell me how your picnic was with your aunt and Luciano."

I sat down next to my father and sighed.

"It was okay I guess."

"Oh, just okay? Didn't you like the food Cook prepared?"

"Yeah, the food was great, Dad."

"Then why do you sound so glum? Did something happen? Did you get in trouble with your aunt or Luciano?" he asked, his voice becoming stern now as he turned to glare at me accusingly.

"Uggghhh! No, Dad. Why do you always assume I did something wrong?" I slumped back on the couch in annoyance, folding my arms over my chest.

"I'm just asking you a question, Sweetpea. No need to get so defensive." My dad put his hand on my thigh and gave me a little warning squeeze. "You seemed upset when you came in and I'm just trying to find out why. I suggest you watch your tone, though. Capiscimi, piccola ragazza (Understand me, little girl)?"

I made the mistake of rolling my eyes in response, so my dad slapped my thigh.

"Ow!" I rubbed the spot on my now pink leg and pouted. He didn't have to hit me so hard.

"I asked you a question, mia figlia (my daughter)." He raised one eyebrow at me.

"Fine, yeah I get it. Ok?" I got up to leave cuz I was annoyed but my dad grabbed my arm, halting me.