Hated

Claire's pov

"What's that?" I asked, knowing what it was but curious as to what pictures it held inside.

"This is what I wanted to talk to you about, Claire," he said, setting the album down in his lap, keeping it closed with one hand.

"I don't understand," I said, shaking my head slightly, not getting the connection. "I thought we were going to talk about my mother."

Taking a deep breath, he replied, "We are, sweetpea. I want you to look at this photo album with me."

The look on my face must have said it all. What does a random photo album have to do with my mom? I shook my head as I looked between the book and my father.

"I guess I'm still not getting it, Daddy." I gestured toward the photo album again. "I mean, what does...? Why are you...? Who is...?" I just kept spitting out interrogatives since I couldn't currently form a coherent thought. "I'm really confused right now. Just please tell me already."

Putting his arm around my shoulder, my father pulled me into a side hug as he said, "Respira, Principessa (Breathe, Princess)." Kissing the top of my head, he gave me a gentle squeeze. "Rilassati, ti spiego tutto (Relax, I'll explain everything)."

"Daddy, please," I whined impatiently. I know he's telling me to calm down, but how can I when he's about to reveal some big secret about my mom? "Don't make me wait any longer."

Patting my knee, he smiled and scooted closer to me on the couch so our legs were touching. He set the photo album down in the middle of our laps so we could each see it clearly. Upon opening it, a picture of my mom in a beautiful wedding dress leapt off the first page.

"Oh my God," I practically whispered, softly brushing my fingertips over the photo to make sure it was real, to verify that I'm actually seeing what I'm seeing and not imagining things. "She's so beautiful and she looks so young," I said in awe. My mouth agape, I looked to my father for an explanation but when he remained silent just staring at the picture, I finally asked, "Is that really a wedding dress? Mom was married?"

"Sì, tesoro (Yes, sweetheart). Era una bellissima sposa (She was a beautiful bride). Wasn't she?"

"Sì, Padre (Yes, Father). When..."

Before I could ask my question, Father turned the page and I gasped. There was a picture of my mom and dad together. She was in her wedding dress and he was wearing a tuxedo. Oh my God! Was he the groom?

"That's you," I said, pointing to the picture like an imbecile as if he didn't know what I was referring to

My father nodded, "Mhmm." He had a distant look in his eyes, like he was a million miles away right now.

"You and Mom were married?" I asked in utter shock. I can't believe this.

"Yes, Claire, your mom and I used to be married but we divorced before you were born," he replied sadly.