Repeated

Claire's pov

Now what would get my uncle's attention? A PRETTY WOMAN, OF COURSE! I shouted inside my head. I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. I've seen the way my uncle can't think straight when he's around an attractive woman. Well I shouldn't say he can't think straight, that's not entirely accurate. It would be more spot on to say he has a one-track mind when in their presence.

But how am I going to get any female who's not crazier than my uncle to willingly come near the British weirdo? If they have half a brain in their head, they'd never come of their own accord, afterall. Maybe I can just make him think there's an attractive woman nearby, at least long enough for me to get his phone. Thank God Grandfather made me memorize his number. Gotta hand it to him, the old guy's pretty wise. The next time I see my uncle set his phone down, I'll put my plan into motion.

Two hours twenty-three minutes later

"Hh-ello," I said shakily, when my grandfather answered. I can't believe I got through.

"FRANCESCA, BAMBINA (BABY GIRL)! SEI DAVVERO TU (IS IT REALLY YOU)?" he shouted.

I heard another voice in the background say, "Father, who..." before my uncle ripped the phone from my hands and disconnected the call.

"What did I tell you would happen the next time you jeopardized your safety by using my phone, piccola ragazza (little girl)?" my uncle sternly questioned.

Okay, I know what you're thinking. What happened to your plan, Claire? Well, let's just say it was not as flawless as I had originally hoped, but I will definitely count it as partially successful. I mean, I did manage to distract my uncle and get his phone, and even connect to my grandfather before I got caught.

"But you don't understand, Uncle EJ. I heard him. I heard my dad talking in the background," I pleaded desperately, hoping my uncle would believe me. "He's with Grandfather in Italy. I just know it."

"Francesca." He said my name, well my middle name anyway, in that super irritating, I'm in charge and you will listen to me voice that always makes my spidey sense tingle.

Despite the fact his warning not to continue was crystal clear, I threw caution to the wind and tried to make my point known.

"It was my father, Uncle EJ. I know it was him, I recognized his voice. Why don't you believe me?" I whined and begged pathetically, hoping to sway him.

"No it wasn't, Francesca. Now stop this nonsense and answer my question. What did I promise you'd have coming the next time you pulled a stunt like this?"

"But, Uncle EJ, I swear it..."

"ENOUGH!" he shouted, interrupting me. Slamming the phone down forcefully on the counter, he shattered it to pieces.

"No, you don't under..." I tried to dissuade him, but he cut me off again.

"Do not utter another word. Sono chiaro (Am I clear), little one?"

The fury in his tone was evident. I gulped watching him unbuckle his belt and strip it through his pant loops. His movements were governed by a steadfast determination so cold, calculating, and precise, it literally rendered me motionless and speechless. I couldn't have protested or resisted even if I wanted to. My uncle was a man to be reckoned with when he wielded the belt to administer punishment.

"I promised you a severe spanking with my cane the next time you jeopardized your safety by trying to contact your grandfather and if I hadn't left it in Italy, by God, you'd be getting it now."

My uncle grabbed me by the wrist and yanked me toward the counter.

"Put your hands on the counter, bend over, then don't move, bambina (baby girl). I'm about to teach you a lesson you won't soon forget. Capiscimi (Understand me)?"