Listened

Claire's pov

After I left my uncle's room, I returned to mine to start getting ready for bed. Shortly after changing into my pajamas and brushing my teeth, my father came in again without knocking. I've already learned if I want any privacy, I have to go in my bathroom and lock the door. My dad and uncle both have access to the master key so I can't hide in there forever but at least it buys me some time and a little bit of peace and quiet, if need be.

"Did you apologize to your uncle as instructed, mia figlia (my daughter)?" he asked, a little more sternly than I would have expected.

"Dad, you know I did. You were standing right there when I went to his room," I answered, in a duh tone. Probably not a wise decision as I was on thin ice with my father already, but sometimes I can't stop myself and sometimes I just don't think these things through until it's too late.

"Excuse me?" My father stood squarely, sending a piercing glare in my direction.

This was clearly my chance to amend my previous response and save my butt, so I gladly took it. I don't want to sleep on my stomach tonight.

"I meant to say, si signore (yes sir). Mi dispiace, Padre (I'm sorry, Father)."

"Weren't you just punished a few hours ago for being disrespectful and speaking rudely, signorina (young lady)?"

I nodded, keeping my head down to avoid my father's unhappy look.

"Perhaps I was much too lenient in my discipline. Is that the case, piccola ragazza (little girl)? Do I need to deliver a harsher punishment to drive this lesson home?"

"No, Father," I whispered embarrassedly, ashamed to be put in my place.

"I'm not amused by your snarky tone, Claire Francesca, and I will not tolerate it. Sono chiaro (Am I clear)?"

"Si, Padre (Yes, Father)."

"The next time it happens, I will pull you over my knee," he warned, pointing his finger at me. "Now tell me how things went with your uncle after you read him the apology you wrote."

"He basically just told me to leave, Father."

"What do you mean?" my dad asked, taken aback by my response.

"I think he was still mad at me so he didn't want to talk to me anymore."

My dad wrinkled his brow.

"Alright I'll speak to him, but right now I want you in bed, lights out." He tucked me in snugly when I got under the covers. "Buonanotte e sogni d'oro, tesoro (Goodnight and sweet dreams, honey). I'll see you in the morning."

"Goodnight, Daddy," I replied softly, as he kissed my forehead. As I laid in bed staring at the ceiling, I began to think about what my uncle said. What did he mean when he asked about that day we were on the run and he left without telling me? I remember being upset when I realized he had left me alone in that big creepy house. I remember we ate pizza after he spanked me for trying to call Grandfather. I don't understand what any of that has to do with what happened today though.

Why couldn't he just tell me why he's still mad? Why does he have to turn this into some big mystery I have to solve? Why can't he just be the grown-up for once and say what's on his mind? He's honestly exhausting. I sighed heavily, closed my eyes, and prayed for God to help me better understand my complicated, irritating uncle before I drifted off to sleep.

Tony's pov

After leaving Claire's room, I went to speak to my brother. I'd like a little more insight on the talk they just had.