Chapter 23

I gently put the different herbs into different compartments, while Astral watched me

"I'm happy you liked your gift," he said hoarsely. He meant the bag. And I didn't just like it, I loved it.

I smiled at him, watching him over the rim of my specs. The room was bright, and I needed to be able to see. "I love it. I'm still amazed you found something like this."

"I had it made." He coughed a little and I rose from my seat on the floor, helping him sit up so he could drink something.

He was still weak and running a fever, but at least he was no longer having visions. His mouth still tasted like death, he said, and it was good I had restocked my bag because he really needed a lot of the ingredients I had bought.

"You had it... Made for me?" My eyes widened a little.

He nodded slowly, his eyes closing briefly before opening again. "I knew you'd want to bring them when we finally started our travels. Bring your remedies. So, I had it made."

I leaned forward and kissed him, my hands on his cheeks, gently running my thumbs over his skin.

"You should've told me sooner."

"Nah. I didn't wanna influence you with gifts."

"You've been giving me gifts for years though."

"Yeah, I kind of..." He looked to the side, biting the inside of his cheek. "I don't know. Maybe I thought you'd know I cared if I continued to give you gifts."

"I always knew you cared."

"Not like that, Mars." He smiled and put his hand on mine. "I've never seen you as a friend."

"Why didn't you say something?"

He shrugged. "To be honest, I wasn't sure if you felt the same."

"You know now though, right?" I tried to bite down my smile. Was this it? Was this finally the time he'd tell me he loved me?

"I know," he murmured and closed his eyes.

I held my breath for a while longer, until his breath got heavy. He had fallen back asleep.

"Alright, I'll wait," I whispered and kissed his forehead. I tugged him in and went back to stocking my bag.