Chapter 27

"A mage on the mountain?" Keefe asked and frowned a bit

"Yeah, she might be able to help." Astral shoved a piece of steamed potato in his mouth.

"A priest at the temple said she might help," I explained further.

"So, are we going?" Zeke asked and took a sip of her water.

"We're not. If anyone's going it's going to be me and Mars. Not you two. It might be dangerous."

"If it is dangerous, you shouldn't be going alone." Keefe waved a bit at us. "I am here to protect you, yeah?"

I shook my head. "No. I'm with Astral on this. It's something we have to do on our own. If it is dangerous, we know how to take care of ourselves. I mean, I literally can't die and Astral is an immensely powerful mage. I don't want to put anyone in danger. I know you're both very capable and have done marvellously in the past, but this isn't about that." I poked a bit at my food and sighed. "We started this journey together in the hopes of finding the roots to The Sight. Maybe find a way to make it easier for Astral to just... Be. We need to finish this as we started it. And after that. After that we'll be a proper family. And we'll travel the whole nation. Maybe the whole world."

Zeke didn't look too convinced, Keefe nodded very enthusiastically, and Astral was leaning his cheek against his hand.

"Mars, your nesting syndrome is showing."

I snorted at first and then laughed. The others did too.

"So what if I wanna make a nice little travelling home for our family. Someone needs to be the responsible adult around here."

"Yes, mother hen. We are but your little chicklets." He chuckled and leaned in, giving me a soft kiss on the cheek.

"I've done some more reading," Astral said and sat down next to me

I was getting very distracted by how handsome he looked in the dimmed lighting of the library. It was hard to focus on anything when he looked that good. He had pulled the top half of his hair back into a messy bun, letting the rest curl around his throat and ears. The last time he had done his hair like that was the night of the festival. Where he had complimented my make-up and hadn't been able to keep his hands off me. I needed to do more with my looks. Especially when he acted like he did that night.