Chapter 34

"What in the actual fuck," Astral growled the second we were back in our room

"What in the actual fuck," Astral growled the second we were back in our room. He grabbed my arm above my wrist, taking a better look at my burnt skin. "We need to get the fuck out of here."

I nodded and winced as he carefully picked the chain out of the wound.

"I'll find a way, Mars, I promise." He looked at me with those night-sky-eyes and I just... I broke a little. I was in pain, I was scared to the core, and I was thinking about Zeke and Keefe. They must've been so confused and worried. We promised to not be away for more than a few days and now we had been gone for fourteen, at least. What were they thinking? Did they think we had abandoned them?

My legs felt like they were about to give out under me, the small of my back felt entirely too tight and my stomach kept dropping. I felt hot and cold at the same time.

"How are we getting out of here if she can just burn us?"

"As if she couldn't burn us without the chains too. These are reminders that she thinks she own us. Absolutely fuck her. I'm finding a way to get these off. It's not like she can kills us."

I half sobbed and half laughed and nodded, drying my eyes in my sleeve. "Right. Crying isn't going to help. We will find a way to break these."

"Yes. Now let's start breaking it down." Astral went for his bag, taking out a notebook and sat down on the bed. "Do we think these are enchanted objects or an enchantment on their own?"

I looked down at the chains, twirling one around my wrist. "There's no lock on them," I murmured and tried pulling it off. I didn't have big hands and I had quite skinny wrists, so it should've been easy to slide off, but it was if it got tighter the harder, I tried pulling. "I think it's an enchantment. She probably conjured them."

"So, what we need is a counter spell."

"But we're bad at counter spells," I pointed out and cringed a little. Astral was very good at conjuring. He could conjure fire, water, lightning, could even conjure upper-body strength like no other. But what he was never good at was breaking down other people's spells.

"I'm alright with counter spells. Or I could become alright. Within the next day or so. You never know!" He looked so offended, and I couldn't help but smile a little.

"Astral, we were great students. Neither of us were ever great mages."

"Don't tell me, you're giving up just because things seem bleak and impossible right now." He folded his arms across his chest, frowning at me.

"I'm... Not. I just..." I cringed again, clenching my teeth together. "This hurt. A lot."

Astral softened a little and took my hands in his, bringing my wrists up to his mouth, softly placing a kiss on both. "I know. We'll make it through though. We're no strangers to pain. Pain won't stop us. We'll get back to our family."