Prologue

I looked at an old couple in their late 70s walking slowly hand in hand in the park. They didn't need a cane to support since they had each other. Huh! That's what marriage is about. That's why we marry I thought.

However 26 years back, I didn't feel the same. I argued with myself that I am not yet ready to marry. I was just 23 then and had just started my career. But I belonged to that era where children mostly obliged to everything their parents said.

"Beta, tumhare papa chahte hai ki tum unki business sambhalo", my mom said. {Son your father wants you to take over his business}

I nodded my head and joined the family business immediately after my graduation in arts.

"Beta, tumhari daadi ki aakhri ichcha hai ki tumhaari shaadi hote huye dekhe", my mom said. {Son, your granny's last wish is to see you getting married}

I nodded my head and got married to an unknown girl, my parents showed me. But it didn't end there.

"Beta, tumhari daadi ki aakhri ichcha hai ki marne se pehle tumhaare bachche ka muh dekhe", my dad said. {Son, it's your granny's last wish to see your child before dying}

I nodded my head and consummated the marriage with a girl I hardly knew for few days. Until I made an effort to know her, she passed away while giving birth to my child.

"Beta, tumhaare bachche ko maa ka pyaar chahiye, doobara shaadi kar lo.", my parents said. {Son, your child needs mother's love, so remarry}

I nodded and went to search for a mother for my child and got married again.

"I can't put up with that tiny monster. I want a divorce." She said.

I nodded and signed on the paper to set her free.

And I realised the people who decided my fate and for whom I nodded my head, all left me in these 26 years.

(Sulking sound)

I looked around to find from where do I hear that painful cry. It was coming from behind the tree which stood tall immediately behind the bench I was sitting.

Should I go and check? I asked myself. What would you do by checking? I don't know. But what if I could be of help to someone?

The next moment I found my feet walking towards the tree. The first thing I noticed was the big blue trolley bag followed by a lady sulking with her head dug inbetween her crossed arms which rested on her knees.

"Excuse me!", I said.

She stopped sulking but didn't raise her head. It's obvious to feel embarrassed when someone intrudes your personal space while you were trying to hide your face and cry your heart out.

What do I do? Wait for her to lift her head or walk away from her to let her peacefully vent out the pain in private? Should I call her again and ask why is she weeping? What if she says "Its none of your business!"?

I have been fearing my whole life to say anything to anyone which might end up hurting their feeling. Basically, I am a "Yes" person to anything and everything the other person says, but I stay away from the source of embarrassment as well.

I turned around to mind my own business but I found it extremely difficult to raise my feet to take a step further.

I paused for a while and turned around to face her.

"Excuse me! I know I should be minding my own business but I still find it wrong to leave you in this condition and go away from here. So kindly let me know if I can be of any help to you? Believe me, my intentions are good.", I said to the lady.

There was still no response from her and I virtually cursed myself for stopping there. But I was wrong. She lifted her head up after wiping her tears to look at me. She inspected me from top to bottom while I looked at her curiously. She was a beautiful young lady whose eyes looked even more painful than her sulks.

"I need a shelter", she said.

___________________________

To be continued.. ❤️❤️

Sorry, I made y'all emotional. This isn't about 2nd September. It's a very sensitive topic to explore that area. We aren't ready for it.

How did you like it?