Part 3 - Skip The Sugar!!

Check if you've read the previous update.
__________________________

As I saw the screen of my phone, my entire world brightened up. It was from my son, Shreyas. Finally, he called me. Called me after so many months. I swiped the screen with shivering hands to receive the call.

"Hello Shreyas, how are you my son?", I asked.

"Who is that lady in the house, Baba?", He said not bothered to answer my question neither cared to ask me how am I. So many months passed after our last call.

"How are you Shreyas?", I asked the question again this time with no excitement but still keeping calm.

"How is that lady related to us?", He asked showing no interest in answering my question.

"How are you Shreyas?", I asked again.

"I am going mad. Now will you answer who is that lady in the house and what is she doing with you and why the hell are you avoiding my question?", He spoke to me in frustration.

"She is a paying guest.", I said calmly to avoid futher questions being raised.

"What? Really Baba? What's the need of keeping a paying guest when you have your own business? That too a young girl? What would people say?", He screamed.

"I don't do everything for money son.", I said keeping my answer short and hoping that he understands.

"Then? Is she paying you in kind?", He asked and that was going out of limit.

"What do you mean? You are crossing your limit!", I said sternly.

"You've crossed your limit Baba. Just throw her out of the house now.", He yelled at me angrily.

"My house, my wish. Why does it bother you? Remember our last conversation? You have no intentions of returning back to this house or this country.", I said loudly.

"That house is mine as well. I am the only heir you have. Why do I smell a rat? Because you never spoke to me like that and that girl in the house must be really something. Don't forget your age, Baba.", He said raising my temper.

"It isn't your house. It's standing on my hard earned money just like you, who is standing on those feet just because of my efforts. You are teaching me what should I do because I forgot to teach you how to behave.", I disconnected the phone for my sanity. However, the harm was done. He was successful in hurting me.

I sat on the chair feeling tired, I couldn't find enough strength in my legs to support. Neither could I find strength to hold a little phone in my hand. It slipped off my hand and fell on the ground. All I did was just stare at it through my blurry vision. Droplets of tears escaped from my eyes and fell my hands. My head hung down due to the burden of the harsh words spoken out of those mouth which I once filled with his favourite food. Where did I go wrong I pondered?

I suddenly realised, I wasn't alone in the house now. A warm hand touched my shoulder and I couldn't lift my head up feeling mortified. She must have heard the conversation. It could be just one side but still the conversation made sense. I gave her the shelter she needed but within my house, she was insulted by my own son.

"I am sorry Sana", I said with my head still hanging down.

"I fear no one when I know I am right. They can't make me feel ashamed until I am ashamed of myself. So I don't give a shit for those scum bags.", She repeated the same words which she had spoken few minutes back.

I lifted my head and looked at her.

"But it's matters to you because he is your son. I saw the kind of joy you had on your face when he called you.  Which soon turned into grief because of me. I can't break your home to build a shelter for me. I can't be taking advantage of your kindness. I should take your leave now. I will be ever grateful for the kind gesture you showed towards me.", She said and turned to leave.

I held her wrist.

"Please don't leave Sana. You will push me into much more guilt. You aren't breaking my home. I don't even call this a home myself. I call it a house because home is where a family stays together. I stay alone because my son who went abroad to study when he was 18 year old never returned. 11 months back when he called me, I asked him, when is he returning as his studies were over long back. All he had to tell me was that he is married and has his family and job there. He can't leave his family.", I told her.

"Huh? Weren't you aware of his marriage and job?", She asked in shock.

"No, he had told me that he was doing some odd jobs after the study. You know Sana, when I asked him if I wasn't part of his family, he told me to stop my emotional torture and let him live in peace. He didn't count me as a part of his family, Sana.", I said trying to hide my tears from her.

She kneeled down infront of me and wiped my tears. I looked at her and she was in tears herself. How can a stranger feel my pain but not my own blood?

"Sana, before he called, you asked few questions about you losing the joy of experiencing the motherhood and why did you get punished? I didn't know the answer then or to put it in better words, I wasn't sure of an answer but I have it now. I spent my life nodding head to everyone and trying to keep them happy but I forgot my happiness in it.

Children don't give happiness, it's just that we love them and find our happiness in theirs. You are happy until you see your happiness in theirs and one day you are made to realise that you are not a part of them and their happiness. Would you like to have a child like my son?", I asked.

She nodded no.

"But I have been an offender myself Sidharth. The way your son behaved with you, I behaved the same with my parents. Perhaps, that's why God punished me.", She said.

"There is a difference Sana. You left them for love but you didn't stop loving them. You still count them as your family even if they won't accept you. You are ready to go back if they would accept you. And today, he crossed his limit. Have you ever character shamed your parents Sana?", I asked.

She nodded no.

"But Shreyas did. The fault isn't you staying here. You were helpless and needed a shelter. But Sheyas' thoughts even after knowing me can't be justified. And now if you leave..", I said.

"I won't!!", she said holding my hands even before I could complete my sentence.

I don't know why but I felt elated and calm with just those two words. I nodded my head holding back her hand with a smile.

"Shall we cook? I am hungry.", she said.

"Yes, let's do it.", I said getting up from my seat stronger. She picked up my phone lying on the floor and placed it back on the table.

I started to cook and she tried helping me with passing the ingredients, washing and cleaning vegetables.

"Pass me the sugar, Sana", I said.

"Please, can you skip this sugar today? We've had it enough.", She said.

"Huh? You guessed it?", I asked.

"Ofcourse, your nosey neighbour used the sugar as a weapon. With your permission, can I place a board on the gate outside tomorrow saying 'Dogs and Nosey Neighbours Not Allowed'?", She asked.

She was a lively and chirpy girl burdened by her sorrows and guilt but after our conversation, I saw her opening up.

"Her nose is so big that it will block her vision from seeing the board.", I said.

"Can't agree more. Is her name Shurpanaka by any chance? If it is than I can become Lakshmana for a day and chop off her nose.", She said waving the kitchen knife in air like a sword.

I laughed out loudly and she joined me in it.

"I love your smile.", she said.

Her words made me feel shy. I have been staying all alone hence such compliments aren't a normal thing for me.

"Thank you.", I said with an uncontrollable blush.

__________________________

To be continued.. ❤️❤️