Chapter 1 - Packing and Parties

"What about this?" Andy says, holding up a lime green bodycon skirt for me to look at.

"Oh definitely! I'll need that!" I tell him taking it and folding it, placing it in the suitcase I have out for my bottoms.

"What about this Madz?" Felicity says holding up a denim shirt with white polka-dots on the collar.

"Uh, sure!" I say and she tosses it to me. I fold it and put it in my suitcase for tops.

I lay on my stomach on the floor, lifting up the skirt of my bed and pulling out six pairs of sandals and shoving them in my shoe bag.

"Maddie, if you don't want to take this I would gladly keep it as a reminder of you," Filly says. I sit up and look at her standing over my dresser drawer holding up a crop top from last summer that says "Young, Wild, and Free".

I laugh a bit and nod. "Go ahead and keep it, I have plenty of crop tops." She laughs in response and throws it by her bag on the floor.

My two best friends Felicity and Andy are helping me go through my room and pack everything I plan on taking to California with me.

It's been a fun day with them, but the reason they're here isn't exactly a fun subject.

My parents have recently got a divorce. Or should I say my Dad and my step-monster of a "mother".

They met when I was thirteen, only two years after my mom died and got married only six months later.

Here I am, sixteen years old and they've gotten a divorce.

While I'm pretty happy about that, my dad decided that we'd move out of our small town in Tennessee.

In exactly three days, I'm moving to California. San Clemente, California to be exact.

And I've only chosen now to start packing. It's a good thing I have friends.

"Oh my god! Why the hell do you have this?" Andy says, pulling out some red lacy lingerie piece from my underwear drawer.

I laugh and tell him, "Oh, Step-loser gave that to me for my sixteenth birthday. Dad doesn't know about it!"

"It's like she was encouraging you to lose your virginity," Filly says, laughing and rolling her eyes at how awful my step-mom was.

He walks over to my bed where my bags are and puts it in the bottom of the suit case where my shirts are.

I give him an odd look and he answers my unsaid question.

"You might meet a cute guy...or two. Ya never know!" He laughs at himself before heading over to my closet that is slowly losing most of its contents.

I roll my eyes. "Andy!"

We finish going through my clothes, packing most of them and putting the rest in either a pile for Good Will or a pile for Filly to take. We're the same size so it doesn't really matter. Plus, about half of the clothes that I put in her pile were hers anyway that I had borrowed but never returned.

After we've closed my suitcases and laid out the clothes I'm wearing in the next three days, we all go downstairs and flop on the couch.

At this point it's only four o'clock so we still have the night to take on.

"What do you want to do, Madz?" Andy asks, not looking up from his phone.

"Well, Taylor and Stacy are having a party tonight, wanna go?" I say, wanting to get to see everyone one last time before I leave for good.