Chapter 3 - Late Nights

I wake up to bright sun shining through the large window that creates a wall in my room, my bed located on the wall opposite of it.

I glance at the clock and notice its not even seven o'clock.

I groan and put my head under the pillow, not used to waking up this early in the summer.

I've only been on summer break for about a week and I'm already in the habit of going to sleep late and waking up after noon.

I roll out of bed and make a mental note to get some heavy duty blinds for that window as I exit my room and walk downstairs.

I see my dad at the stove in the kitchen cooking so I go to the living room and start to unpack a box my dad had shipped here a week before we moved.

I pull out the top items, which consist of a few photos of me, my dad, and my mom from a few years ago.

I place the pictures around the nearly bare living room. We bought the house fully furnished, so there is a couch, two side tables, and a coffee table already in the house, yet it looks so bare with nothing in it.

Once I get the boxes for stuff for the living room, I drag a larger box with kitchen items into the kitchen and I see my dad still cooking, a pile of pancakes already laying on a paper plate. Turned out that fully furnished excluded dishes, but dad was okay with it because we sent our own.

Dad motions for me to eat so I do, quickly eating two pancakes and drinking milk from a plastic cup before going back to unpacking.

I open the box and start to unpack, putting plates, bowls, glasses, silverware and utensils away. About halfway through, I hear a knock at the door.

I stop what I'm doing and walk to the front door and open it.

I see two guys standing before me, but they're talking to each other. I recognize them as the boys from the beach yesterday, I roll my eyes.

"Can I help you?" I ask them.

This brings their attention to me, and I realize I'm still in my pajamas.

The one with earrings smiles at me.

"So you're the new girl on the block?" He nods and looks at me strangely.

"Uh, yeah I guess," I shrug and cock my hip, wanting to know why they're here.

I raise my eyebrows and the other boys smiles softly at me.

"Do you guys need something?" I ask.

"No, we just wanted to welcome you to the neighborhood," one says. I seriously can't remember their names.

"Oh okay. What's your names again?"

"I'm Kian," says the boy with earrings.

"I'm Sam," the shorter one says.

I nod and smile at them, about to close the door when Kian speaks up.

"There's gonna be a beach party tonight at nine down at the same beach we met you yesterday. You should come," he tells me.

I raise my eyebrows in shock and Sam nods, encouraging.

"Okay, well thanks for the invite," I say, turning away from them.

"You really should come," Kian says before I rudely close the door.

"Who was that?" My dad says from somewhere upstairs.

"Some kids from down the road," I reply back loudly.

By the end of the day, I've unpacked all the boxes for the kitchen, living room, and the downstairs bathroom.