Two

He woke me a few hours later. "Wake up. We have to get out of here. We're going to go downstairs, cut through the courtyard and to the snack shop, okay? It will be safe there, and there will be food. And be really quiet. Got it? Don't even speak."

I noticed that the chairs and desks were cleared away. I nodded, and he leads me down the hallway. 

But then a lone zombie stumbles in our view. "Shit!" He hisses. He puts his hand over my mouth, and ducks into a closet. This space is really close. I can feel his heat next to me as he lowers his hand from my mouth. 

"is- is it gone yet?" We're too big for this small space. "it's tight in here with the two of us in here together."

"Almost. We need to wait for it to be completely out of sight, I'm sorry." We wait in silence, then he slowly opens the door. 

"Let's go. Stay quiet. We're almost to the stairs." He creeps forward at a fast pace. It's eerily silent. Being in these halls that are usually filled with students bustling to their next class, or hall monitors making sure students are doing what they are supposed to be doing..

It makes me sad.

We hurry down the stairs. The courtyard is full of zombies. I look at him with a fearful face. 

"Trust me." He whispers.

and then we run. Zombies instantly start to follow us, their terrifying snarls reaching my ears. 

"Run as fast as you can! Don't look back." He shouts.

"Okay!" I watch as he takes his bat and begins taking out zombie after zombie. Saving me again. My backpack is grabbed from behind, and to my terror, it's a zombie. I desperately kick it away and run as fast as I can out of sheer terror.

I break away from the crowd of zombies and managed to get into the shop. My heart drops. Four zombies are coming at him at once. 

He fights against two of them, kicking a third in it's head and smashing another's with his bat.

One of the zombies gets ahold of his arm, and he looks desperately at me, then smiles. That smile terrifies me. It's resigned, as if he was saying, "it's okay, as long as you're safe."

But at the last second, he manages to break free and bolt to the door, and once inside, he quickly shoves a few booths in front of the door, making it so that the zombies couldn't get in. 

When I stepped backwards, he looks at me, crossing his arms. "I wasn't bitten. I would have stayed out there if..I was bitten. I'm not so selfish that I would force you to die with me."

I feel embarrassed for being afraid of him. "Sorry."

"Don't sweat it. I'm not mad. I'm actually proud of you for being cautious." He doesn't smile, just pats my shoulder and moves past me.

"We'll split up, alright? If you see a zombie, take this and just hit it until it stops moving and get out of there, alright?" Gwi-Nam says. He gives me the bat he used to clobber a zombie to death.

"And be careful with that if you have any open wounds. A drop of zombie blood into a cut and you'll be a member of the undead within the hour." He looks at me, as if he is silently imploring me to listen to his words.

I nodded and went into the back to look for food. I just hope that he doesn't go too far away from me while he looks for water.