Five

My thoughts were slowing down into a pleasant calm. There was one thing that wouldn't leave my mind, no matter how hard I tried. In all honesty, it was because I was perplexed by my current situation and company.

Originally, I would never have even looked Gwi-Nam's way. He was known to be violent, rude, and unpleasant. But with the way he was now, I felt like maybe I could trust him. He was honest enough, albeit very quiet. 

I was definitely wondering, though. Why had he changed in that way? He was so mean and overly hateful. Had he been bullied? 

But then I tried to imagine someone who had never done anything to anyone before becoming such a jerk, and I couldn't see it. Him? Bullied? It made no sense to me whatsoever. 

I can't exactly just ask him that though. It's rude, and it could be a pretty touchy subject for him.  I didn't want him to get angry at me and throw me to the zombies.

I'm startled from my thoughts by the light starting to fade. I go over to him. I gently shake his shoulder. "Gwi-Nam. It's getting dark, wake up." He opens his eyes, the brown especially dark in the dimmer light.

His eyes search my face, but for what, I can't tell. "Your turn." He simply says. He stands up and I cower a little bit inwardly. He's taller than me when he stands straight up. I nodded and smiled gratefully as I could lie down on the booth. 

It was warm. And not in the gross way, like when you touch a railing after someone else's hot, sweaty hand has been there. But nice. It was comforting in a way. It was still missing something though.

"This booth is hard.." I murmured, more to myself than to him. It was a little uncomfortable to use as a pillow. It was clearly meant for backsides, and not heads.

My eyes were half closed when I heard him rustling beside me, then slipping the jacket under my head. 

"Hey. Lee Cheong-san. Don't be a nuisance..just ask me for it next time." He mutters, sitting on the other booth on the opposite side of the table. 

I felt a little stir of happiness in my heart that he was so considerate, then finally managed to get comfortable. 

Then, something broke the silence between the two of us. It's Gwi-Nam. Gwi-Nam is humming an older song that I had heard my father sing sometimes. I think it was called "When I Go To Busan," now that I think about it. 

Though thinking of my father made me sad, the song reminded me of happier times before my birth mother had ran off with another, richer man. She'd never loved me, but my step-mother loved me. And for me, that was enough.

His soft humming and the combination of his heat close to me make me fall asleep rather quickly. I can almost hear the song in my dreams, a soothing melody to make me feel okay.

Maybe Gwi-Nam isn't so bad after all.