Ten

Before I set out from that house, I cleaned every wound that I had. Thanks to my company that I'd had, though, there was nothing more than a couple scratches and a few bruises. 

I wondered, though, was the water working? I turned on the faucet, and to my surprise, the hot water was working. I looked at the locked and barricaded bathroom door. Would it really hurt to take a bath and get clean..?

I shed my clothes in a split second decision. If I died, at least I'd die clean. I get into the water, cringing at all the dirt that clouded the water. How dirty had I been? 

For a moment, I considered holding my head under the water and keeping it there until I lost consciousness, but I shook that idea off. He wouldn't want me to die, and I don't want to die a coward's death after he died protecting me.

I focused on washing up well, making sure to be completely clean. I scrubbed until my skin was bright pink. Then I got out and wrapped myself in a towel I found. I took the clothes that I had been wearing and washed them as best I could. 

I spread them out and wait for them to dry at least halfway before putting them back on.

As I left the house, I looked back. "I'll make you proud, Gwi-nam." I whispered. I have to survive for him.

After walking for a while, I bite back a yell of annoyance and exhaustion. It was hard enough that I was alone, but to get out of the city, I had to avoid all the zombies that were moving outwards to try and find more prey.

I cursed as yet another group started to follow me. 

"Why was he so stupidly brave!?" I hissed as I ran. Gwi-nam would have stood his ground and fought the zombies back. I wish that he was never bitten. 

Suddenly, someone's grabbing my hand, yelling at me to run. I whip around. It's Su-hyeok! Su-hyeok and On-jo and all of our friends!

"You're alive!" I exclaim as we ducked into an old shed to hide. 

"Of course we're alive. I'm more surprised that you're alive. I thought- I thought that you.. were dead." His voice breaks and he pulls me into an embrace.

It feels nice..but it reminds me of him. The last affectionate touch I got from him. I pull out of the hug and put on a smile. 

"Well, surprise. I'm alive." I looked around at their scared and blood stained faces. 

"Cheong-san..why are you clean? And your clothes..they don't even have any blood on them. Where have you been?" On-jo finally speaks up.

"Well hello to you too, Nam On-jo." I cross my arms. "And I was hiding out in a house." I don't mention Gwi-nam. They would never believe that he could be as kind as he was to me.

"So you bathed and washed your clothes while we were out here suffering? Seriously, that's a Na-yeon thing to do!" Dae-su says.

"Yeah, well, opportunities arise." I rolled my eyes. "And how can you compare me to that awful girl?" I put a hand to my chest as if I was deeply offended.

Su-hyeok turns to me. "You seem different. And how did you survive alone?" I looked at him. 

"Why are you asking me that?" The atmosphere is tense between us before Dae-su steps in.

"We're just glad that you made it back to us alive. We can escape Hyosan together." He amiably tells everyone. "Right, guys? We're happy that Cheong-san is alive." 

Everyone nods, and they drop it. Su-hyeok leaves me alone after that, occasionally casting confused glances over at me.

We left the shed when it was safe. We walked for a few hours, resting when we had to hide 

Choi Nam-ra, the class president comes up to me and says in her soft voice, "why do you smell like that delinquent, Gwi-nam?"

I looked at her, startled. "What do you mean? How can I smell like someone I've never met? And how are you "smelling" him anyway?" I was nervous. 

"Why are you lying?" She asks, tilting her head and scrunching her nose. "You reek of him. You had close contact with him not long ago." I scoffed.

"Really, Nam-ra?" I sped up and walked beside On-jo, who is watching Su-hyeok converse with Dae-su with dreamy eyes.

"Hey, On-jo." I waved a hand in front of her face. 

She turns to me, as if she was confused. Then she looked at me and smiled. "Oh, hey Cheong-san. What's up." I put on a pout.

"You didn't seem very happy to see me earlier. I thought I was your best friend?"  She rolls her eyes. 

"Don't be so butt hurt." She laughed and I laughed with her. I decided that it was better now that I didn't have a crush on her. Less awkward between us. And now I was more willing to support her crush on Su-hyeok.

Although the one who I'd had a crush on was dead. 

"Hey, Cheong-san. What's wrong?" I looked up. On-jo was looking at me in a concerned way as we walked together.

I pulled a smile onto my face. "Nothing! How are you and Su-hyeok going?" I questioned. On-jo immediately blushes a bright pink, her ears glowing. 

"What are you talking about!? I don't like him!"  She whisper-shouts. I laughed at her blush. "Yeah right." 

On-jo definitely deserves happiness.