17 ~ Sisterhood

Dearest Lily,

We hope you are doing well. Your father and I worry everyday, and we would be greatly consoled if you only wrote to us every once in a while. It is unlike you to be so silent. I worry you find yourself unhappy at school, perhaps it was unwise for you to learn so far away. 

We at home are doing well. I am sure Petunia has written and told you all about her new boyfriend, Vernon. He seems... well, I find I do not get on with him, but if your sister loves him then that's all that matters. I only hope you find someone that makes you happy, though I know you have decided against love. Your father was convinced that your friend, Severus, was secretly pining for you, but I know that could not be the case. If it were, however, I would encourage you to refuse him. There is something about that boy that deeply disturbs me, though I cannot place what it is exactly.

There is little else to report, other than that Pepper's stray suitor has returned. The shabby cat has been driving your father mad, yowling at midnight and scratching at the allotment.

Please do write, even if it is only to say you are well. I have missed hearing from you, as has your father and, though she is unlikely to confess, Petunia

All my love

Your hopeful mother

Lily first felt confused, upon reading her mother's letter, for she hadn't received word from home in at least a few weeks, and Petunia had not written at all. Not that the latter surprised her anymore. The two sisters had grown apart and no longer attempted to mend the relationship. The lack of letters from her parents had, however, been concerning, as her mother implied that they had been sent. She wondered if there was an issue with the owls delivering them, but there had never been problems before.

This puzzle worried her, so instead she turned her attention to the mention of Severus. She could almost laugh. It seemed her mother had predicted Sev's betrayal before it had ever occured. Her father's idea of Sev being in love with her was utterly ridiculous and, had they not fallen out, she was certain that she and Sev would have laughed over it together.

It was then that she realised how very alone she was. She could no longer rely on Severus' company, or her sister's letters, and she had long since dropped all contact with her muggle friends from primary school. 

The dormitory door swung open, and in stepped Alice. 

"Hey, Lil," She said cheerfully, perching on her bed, opposite Lily's. Alice looked her up and down, spotting the letter and the miserable face, "Has something happened?"

"Nothing of note." Was Lily's only reply.

"Then whatever are you upset for? And Merlin's beard, why did you choose to be miserable alone?"

"That's exactly it. I haven't anyone to talk with, since Sev, well... You know."

Alice laughed softly, earning a confused look from Lily.

"I thought it was pretty obvious that Mar, Dorcas, Mary and I wanted to be your friends." She chuckled, "I guess not. Well, let me offer a formal invitation now: Lily Evans, would you like to join our coven of gossiping, immature teenage girls?"

In spite of herself, Lily laughed and nodded. "I would be deeply honoured to be welcomed into your sisterhood."

With this, Pepper, the cat who had been missing for quite some time, no doubt adventuring with her own group of friends, appeared from under Lily's bed and began meowing quietly. Alice quickly plucked the cat from the floor and placed her on her lap.

"Now that it's official," She said solemnly, though Lily could not take her seriously as she petted the cat with enthusiasm, "We've all been wondering, are you going to the Yule Ball? Surely you kind of have to, considering you partially planned it."

"I wasn't going to, no."

"Oh, you must!" Alice clasped her hands together, giving Pepper an opportunity to escape from her grasp, "You have to! Don't worry about having no one to go with, you can stand with us, or we could sign you up for a partner? Marlene is already going with Dorcas, Frank's asked me, and Mary hopes to go with James, but I'm sure we could find you someone!"

"If you insist." Lily gave in, for she had secretly wanted to go but had no good reason to. At least there was no chance of her being paired up with Severus or even James, as people from different houses wouldn't be partnered together and James already had a date.

A distant noise interrupted their conversation before it could resume. It was hard to hear and difficult to understand, but after it repeated, the noise was unmistakably a scream. Something had gone horribly wrong.