katrin_writes

The Process

Q: What is your most preferred genre when it comes to writing and why?

A: So far it's definitely romance. I love how it makes me feel giddy or fuzzy and warm, both when reading and when writing.

I'm also dying (no pun intended) to write a mystery/thriller novel, but I don't want to start too many projects at once and I have already acquired a slight "backlog" of story ideas. I think it's safe to say that I cannot relate when I tell people I write and they say they wouldn't even know what to write about.

Q: What are the key steps you take in your writing process?

A: Honestly, this first novel was all pantsing—and non-chronological at that—no plotting. It made the writing process pretty difficult at times and propelled writer's block whenever I wasn't sure how the story should continue or how to tie two scenes together. For the sequel to What I Should Have Done (yes, there is one coming!), I am trying out plotting at least the story beats in the hopes that it will prevent me from getting stuck.

Another, major key step is editing. I write completely offline and don't like publishing half-finished work. Instead, I have at least two friends beta-read what I write before I publish it. Their comments have been invaluable throughout my writing process. They tell me what they as readers enjoy, where I have to fix plot holes, and where my dialogue sounds unnatural. For me it's especially wonderful to get feedback from both reader friends and writer friends because they usually pay attention to different aspects and thereby really help me improve.

Q: Do you ever experience writer's block and if so how do you overcome it?

A: I think I've just answered the if, haha. I do get writer's block, yes. Generally, I don't force myself to write, because I don't enjoy writing under pressure and I rarely like the product. What helps me overcome blocks is usually tied to figuring out why I'm experiencing it.

Is it because I'm generally uninspired? Then watching movies and reading in the genre can help, music in particular is a really strong inspiration for me, though. I often pick a song that has the vibe I'm aiming for and let autoplay on the music app work its magic.

Is it because I'm stressed? Then pushing myself to write will only make it worse.

Is it because I don't know what the heck will happen next? This is usually the reason for my block. What helps me is to talk through my options and concerns with a close friend and brainstorm solutions with them. I have gotten some terrific insight and ideas from friends, even those who don't read in my genre a lot—sometimes particularly from those. Another approach is continuing at a different point in the story to keep the creative juices flowing.

Q: Are your characters based on real people?

A: Yes and no. I often model their appearance after real people because it makes descriptions easier. Some of my personality and experiences inevitably play into theirs, sometimes more, sometimes less consciously, but in general, the characters' traits are products of my imagination.

About the Author

Q: You've already teased the sequel to your novel What I Should Have Done. What can readers look forward to?

A: >>> SPOILER WARNING <<<
The sequel takes place a year and a half after the ending of the first book. We'll see Grace juggle her first year of graduate school at Yale, meeting new people, and maintaining a long-distance relationship with John, all while reconnecting with someone from her past (if you have read the book, you'll know who). When everything turns out vastly different from her great expectations, she has to pick between the person she loves and her career dream. Get ready to feel things! [End of spoiler warning]