Summer Fest Grand Prize: JSPRomComs

Another big congratulations to our Summer Fest Grand Prize winner!

About the Author

Q: What is your biggest inspiration?

A: I have a ton! In the writing realm I would definitely say Mindy Kaling. Her ability to write the most romantic scenes ever while still being so funny is amazing! Whenever I read her first book about her life I couldn't set it down because I was laughing so hard. The ability to create something so relatable and enjoyable is so inspiring and I aim to achieve that in my writing.

Q: Should we expect more romance stories in the future?

A: Yes! After I finished Stolen Heart I would've said no way, based on how much time and hard work it took. But like any marathon, you're sore the next day. It isn't until a few weeks later where you're like oo that was kind of fun. Maybe I should do it again. So here I am, a quarter of the way through writing my next book!

Q: Do you have any reading recommendations on Wattpad?

A: All my recs are on my profile! My favorite wattpad book to date though is Dead If You Do. It's not a romcom but it is a murder mystery which I like every now and then. The writing is stunning and I couldn't set it down!

Q: Is there something you hope your readers will take away from your story?

A: Besides laughs and swoons, that it's okay to step out of your comfort zone. A person can never be fully in control of their life and things more often than not do tend to work out in the end.

From the Author

A huge thank you to anyone who has picked up my novel and anyone reading this interview! It means so much to me to be supported in my writing journey and really helps keep me going. Whenever I feel like I'm hitting a wall, I know that people in this community are always there to give great feedback / advice. So thank you for that! Also, get ready to see more romcoms from me sometime in 2023! :)

About the Story

Lana Asfoor, content with the status quo, meets Jack Hanscom, a risk-taker who's name happens to rhyme with 'handsome'. After a mysterious thief takes something very valuable from her, Lana and Jack go on an adventure to get it back - an adventure that ends with her heart stolen. Want to read more? You can find the story in our Featured reading list!

Q: What's your favorite thing about Lana Asfoor?

A: My favorite thing about Lana is how she finds humor and joy in things that happen. (Spoiler) This big, scary event happens to her at a thrift shop and the next day she's laughing and joking with her coworkers about it. She's invited to a party and it turns out to be a memorial? Time to dish the jokes. Although she has a lot of growth throughout the story, she still is always down to enjoy what she can.

Q: What inspired the plot?

A: Honestly, it sounds so strange but it was from a dream I had. It was so vivid - someone had stolen a family heirloom I found in an art shop and I needed to go and find it because it was worth millions. I woke up and instantly began writing things down. I wanted to stick with romantic comedy because that's what I know and love and so the story began to evolve from there.

Q: Did you base any of the characters on someone you know?

A: Most of the characters are based on people I know. Lana and Jack were inspired by my husband and myself. Some of the romantic moments throughout the book are based on things that we've done or have happened to us. For example, my husband and I went on our honeymoon to Tangier, Morocco. A good portion of the latter half of the book is set there and Lana and Jack have some ups and downs as they get to know each other better.