AOFunke

About the Author

Q: Which published author do you take inspiration from and why?

A: I take inspiration from a lot of authors, but weird enough, they aren't writers in my genre. However, there are some Wattpad writers that inspire me. Ted Dekker is one published author that I really get inspired by. Most times, when I'm not writing my own book, I'm probably reading one of his.

As for Wattpad writers that inspire me, Marianna Leal, Nikki Pierce and Jordan Lynde. All these writers have one thing in common and the reason they inspire me so much is, they create such realistic events that make me feel like I'm being sucked into an entirely different world whenever I'm reading their books. Lately, that's really hard to find and it's what gets to me most.

Q: Is there a book written by that specific author that you can relate to? If so, what is the name of the book and why do you relate to it?

A: Yes, actually. Nikki Pierce's Just Press Send. I relate to it because one of my closest friends attained that position in my life because of one text. And even though it's nothing romantic like in the book, it still feels the same.

Q: If you could be any literary character, who would you be and why?

A: This sounds cheesy in my head but I'll go ahead and say it. I'd be my own character, Avery, from my currently ongoing work. She's made so many mistakes and has no idea how to fix them even though they're catching up to her. I'd like to be her because I want to do things differently, for her sake...not because I have a secret crush on the other leading character, no.

Q: What advice would you give a fellow Wattpad writer in terms of improving their recognition of the platform?

A: I'd tell you this, it doesn't take one particular thing. Tagging your book goes a very long way. Frequent updates, a beautiful cover and yada yada. But of all these, I think patience is key. Learn to wait while doing all the things that are necessary. And make friends. We grow by supporting others... literally. Also, enter your book in A LOT of Wattpad reading lists. As many as you can. For anything to work you have to put yourself out there.

Q: When did you first start writing on Wattpad and how did you find out about the platform?

A: I learnt about Wattpad from one of my friends at school who wouldn't stop talking about the great books she could read on some orange app. And being a book-lover myself, I decided to download it the minute I got my first phone with internet back in 2016/17. It wasn't until late 2017 that I published my first book though. It's currently deleted off the face of the planet and will never see another sunrise amen.

From the Author

The wedding effect is getting a sequel this July! I'm so happy to announce this one because I know I cut Camsy and Parker's love story short and they deserve more troubles. So I thought, why not wreck their wedding! And here we are.

The sequel is titled " The Right Choice" and trust me, you do not want to miss this drama. It's hitting Wattpad on the 7th of July, when I'll be posting the first chapter.

Until then, we have nostalgia to keep us busy. We've gotten halfway in now and with the short holidays I have, I'm hoping to have it rounded up before the end of May. Fingers crossed. Sadly, it won't be getting a sequel (sigh) you'll see why once we reach the end.

Finally a huge thank you to everyone that's following me or supporting my stories. It means so much to me (and the rest of the gang) that you're here and I can't thank you enough.

About the Story

Q: In most young adult books, it is common for the male protagonist to cheat. What influenced the idea of portraying the female protagonist as the 'charismatic cheater'?

A: First of all, I am so including 'Charismatic Cheater's in Avery's description.

Second, the male protagonist, James, was actually supposed to be the one cheating. But that seemed way too cliche. The male lead cheats, female lead dates his best friend to spite him and realises she never liked the male lead in the first place. I'd already read something like that. Plus, Nostalgia was meant to be a completely different book from all the others on Wattpad. That was when it clicked. Why not swap the two events, make her cheat with the best friend first and make the guy the one to have revenge.

Q: In your opinion, would you say that it would be hard for one to speak to their ex, why or why not?

A: Depending on how things ended, I think it may or may not be hard. Avery's case, for example, is quite the debacle because she left without even explaining why she cheated. However, if they'd just agreed to breakup, I think it'd be easier to talk to the person since there's no bad blood or guilt anywhere between them.

Q: In your book, was there a specific object, song, poem, or experience that you took inspiration from for a particular part of the book? If so, what was it and in what way did it inspire you?

A: As a matter of fact, the majority of the book was inspired by Billie Eilish's Male fantasy.

"If I'm getting over you or just pretending to be alright, convince myself, I hate you."

That right there kept screaming JAMES. Avery's the one that cheated with his best friend for that matter, he should hate her. But for some reason, he can't. He mentioned it at a party they attended in chapter eight.

Q: We understand that the book is ongoing, but was there a certain point in the book where you experienced writer's block, and would you mind sharing how you overcame it?

A: I was hit by writer's block seven months ago and even considered taking the entire book down. But thankfully, I didn't. This went on for over six months. I was able to overcome my writer's block by reading and listening to music. And the thought that I have unfinished business kept haunting me so one day I just picked up a pen and wrote down a synopsis for an entirely new project. Then I came back to nostalgia and pushed myself to write a hundred words. At the end of the day, instead of a hundred words, I wrote down over two thousand just that day. And just like that, the writer's block was gone. So if you want to overcome writer's block, I suggest you take a break to catch your breath, try to think up new ideas, kinda revs your writing engine, and just write. No matter how crappy it may be at first. After writing you can always go back and check for errors. Just write.