MiniMoxx

Our first spotlight is on @MiniMoxx!

Q: Of the stories you've written, which one is your favorite?

A: I'd have to say "The Burden of Us" is probably my favourite book of my own. the plot came to me randomly, and I kind of started the book blindly, and I found myself very, very quickly falling in love with the characters and their story. I managed to draft it in 5 weeks because I was so wrapped up in their story and even now, I still find myself thinking about them.

Q: What was your inspiration for it?

A: I didn't really have 'inspiration' per se, the idea popped into my head, but I think I'd read something in the news or on social media about arranged marriages and thought 'hmmm I wonder what it would be like to write' kind of thing and I started writing down the idea and it kind of spiralled into my plot haha.

Q: How do you plan out your stories?

A: So first I write down the idea I have, whether it be just a scene or plot point. Then I kind of think "well how would I get to that point" or "why do they want that" and kind arc out the themes then I work on the characters. To me, the characters are always the most important, but they need a plot to drive them. I like to have a few plot points before I start writing, even if it's just the main plot and the idea of the first chapter.

Q: What genre do you feel is your best genre?

A: I mainly love writing general fiction, as that's what most of my books are labelled however I do always write about romance too, so I like to think I'm kind of a hybrid haha!

Q: Do you have a favorite author on Wattpad? If so, who? What story is your favorite?

A: Ohhh is two allowed? hehe. @uxecelia is one of my favourites, and her book Gilded Cage is amazing. I also love @ily_ari_grande and her book Discover Soulmate. They are both amazing writers who gripped me with their writing. Also amazing friends <3

Q: What do you hope your readers will like best about your stories?

A: I tend to write about dark matters (mainly!) and by that I kind of hope to make people think and relate to 'real' people with flaws. So I guess I hope to make people think and also just enjoy and engage with my stories and leave a lasting impression!

Q: Do you have a message for your readers?

A: Enjoy my books!!! hehe :)

About the Author

Q: What is a fun fact about your writing process?

A: When I'm struggling to think of a plot or I have writer's block, I actually go and have a long shower and talk to myself about my book - generally, that helps me get through it. Sometimes my husband can hear me talking to myself and I think he thinks I'm crazy. His fault for marrying me though! ;) haha.

About the Story

The Burden of Us is a story about a girl named Ella Webb who is arranged to marry a guy named Dean when they graduated high school. When the time comes, she bargains for three more years before the wedding. However, in that time, she meets and falls in love with another guy. Find this highly acclaimed story on our Last Kiss reading list!

Q: What inspired you to write about an arranged marriage?

A: So the arranged marriage idea came into my head first, I kind of had in my mind a nameless image of my main character, Ella, and then I imagined her with what turned out to be Matt and started thinking about the "plot" as to why they couldn't be together. I thought "what if she was HAS to be with someone else for some reason" and then it kind of spiralled from there. I was actually initially plotting for one of them to be terminally ill, or something, but then I was on a mothering website forum, and they started discussing arranged marriages, and it kind of popped up from that! Weird way to get my idea!

Q: What do you like most about Ella?

A: I love how Ella is very loyal, she knows she doesn't want to marry Dean and she absolutely sticks to that. Even before she met Matt, she was loyal to her heart (as in not marrying someone she thought of as a brother) and even when things looked bleak, she sticks to trying to get out of the marriage. She is still flawed, but she maintains her loyalty, and she never waivers from her love to Matt. She's probably my most loyal character in any of my books!

Q: Are any of the characters based off of people you know?

A: To a very loose and slight extent, Matt has attributes from my husband haha. Some of the complete random things (like Matt giving Ella bluebells) my husband does for me. the "cute" moments Matt and Ella share are sometimes based off little moments in my own marriage - not the very same, but tiny bits and pieces.

Q: Is there a character that stood out the most to you when writing this story?

A: Oh yes, Dean. When I started writing the book, I didn't want him to be the antagonist, I wanted to make him on Ella and Matt's side, and I was going to have Ella confide in him about her relationship. But the more I sat and imagined him in my mind, he just screamed "evil" to me, and while he has a redemption arc, I always knew he would only be evil out of his want for Ella. Luckily, he changed himself up. But I absolutely LOVED writing his chapters to get the readers into his evil, and then not-so evil mind :)

Q: What is your favorite scene? Why?

A: My favourite scene would probably be how Ella and Matt meet, so in chapter 4. It's probably the chapter I've edited least because I just love it so much. For me it's one of the most pivotal chapters because of Ella's instant change. I've had comments that say they move very fast, but I think in Ella's mind meeting someone she initially has lust for gives her an unconscious ammunition to get out of the arranged marriage - it's always on her mind. I think they're both so innocent and the scene where Ella is drunk and they kiss is just so "them" - that innocence has been stripped because of alcohol and it just kick starts their love story in a weird, fast and completely realistic way (it happened to me! lol)

With that, my joint other favourite scene is probably the party in chapter 17. It's the second pivotal point for me, because it's when Ella finally, finally realises that she CAN stand up for herself, and her love for Matt. Dean kissing her and touching her when she doesn't want it, in front of people, is the final straw and she has her "epiphany" and "character arc" kind of and I just love how she changes. I LOVED writing that chapter. Maybe because I love torturing my characters a little bit! Haha