chapter 3

STORYBROOKE

STORYBROOKE

Mary-Margaret had escaped. Somehow she had gotten out of her cell and no one knew where she was, Emma was trying not to panic because she was hoping to find her friend before anyone else did. If the town knew that she ran away then she would be in even bigger trouble and her case would be completely thrown. Her brain was so focused on wondering where Mary Margaret was, that she didn't see a man walking along the side of the road.

Her tires squeak loudly as she swerves out of the way but the man tumbled down the forestry hill as he tried to escape getting hit. Worried that she possibly had killed someone, Emma stopped her car and jumped out to see if he was okay. In her defence, she was under a lot of stress and the road conditions weren't the best that night.

"I'm so sorry! Are you okay?"

The man coughed as she offered her hand to help him up the hill and back to the road, "I think so..."

"Are you sure?" She pressed, wanting to know exactly what was happening because she felt awful for running him off the road.

"I'm fine. I'm not used to sharing the road with cars so late." He shrugged, trying to smile through the pain from the fall, as he calmed himself down, he realised who he was standing with, "you're the sheriff, aren't you?"

"Yeah."

"What brings you out here in the middle of the night?"

Hoping that he didn't have her secret talent for spotting liars, Emma pretended that everything was fine and stayed calm to not get him panicking, "nothing to worry about, I'm just looking for a lost dog."

"Well, I hope you find it."

"Thank you." Emma says sincerely as she watches the man beginning to limp away from her and as soon as she realised that his leg was injured, she pointed at it with wide eyes. "You are hurt!"

"No, I just twisted my ankle, I think. I live just a mile down the road, I'll make it okay."

"Let me drive you, I insist."

The man thought about it for a moment, before shrugging and laughing slightly because there was no way that he could turn down a ride home from the sheriff. "Thank you. I'm Jefferson."

"Emma." She smiled back at him as they shook hands and then she helped him over to the car because he was still limping.

🐇🐇