chapter 14

STORYBROOKE

STORYBROOKE

Despite the town being in chaos because of not being able to return to the Enchanted Forest and practically being still cursed in Storybrooke, the residents were attempting some kind of normality. Their prince was focused on trying to bring his family back and had forgotten about their needs for a while so they were working hard to keep things on track for their own families.

Alice was struggling as a single parent, financially she had some things sorted and they were managing fine with a room at Granny's but she was struggling to answer all the questions that Grace had. She couldn't tell her daughter that her father abandoned them because he was scared. She wouldn't let Jefferson's image be that way for his daughter.

Lying wasn't the right thing to do but she feared that she had no other choice. Every time that Grace asked about her father, her mother pretended to be just as clueless and hopeful that he would find them. When in reality, he had but he was too scared to be with them.

It was a regular morning as Alice dropped her daughter off at school, it was their new routine. She would get dropped off by her mother in the morning and would get the school bus home because it stopped outside Granny's; right where her mother would be working her newest job.

Alice had done everything under the sun and as much as she didn't want to be a waitress, she was more than grateful for the opportunity to financially support her daughter. Whatever happened to them, curse or no curse, she needed to be there for Grace always.

"Have a good day!"

It was only when Grace disappeared inside the building that she relaxed slightly, her smile fading as her true emotions came out and as she turned back to her car, she saw a glimpse of something across the street. Instantly she recognised the fancy tailored suit and stopped what she had planned to follow him.

Jefferson knew that he had been spotted and raced behind vehicles, buildings and bushes to try and get away but Alice was always good at finding things. She wouldn't stop until she had what she wanted.

"Jefferson!" She called as she followed him down an alleyway, getting annoyed that he continued to run away, she stomped her foot angrily, "Jefferson, I know you heard me!"

Stopping when he came to a dead end, he knew that there was no where else for him to go and he turned on his heel, sighing loudly. "What?"

Her anger faded in that instant as she was once again looking at the face of her beloved husband. Someone that she had unconsciously missed for twenty eight years and now he was right in front of her and all she wanted to do was run into his arms.

"You need to come home-"

"What is home, Alice?" He replied, raising an eyebrow and intending to sound cruel to make this easier for himself to cope with, "the house where you lived with Michael? A room at Granny's?"