chapter 9

STORYBROOKE

STORYBROOKE

Watching Emma struggling with the hat was causing Jefferson inner anger as his jaw clenched and he watched her from across the room. He knew that she had magic and she was the only person who could get the hat to work, she had to do it otherwise he was stuck in his personal nightmare for the rest of his life.

"I can't make it work!" Emma sighed, throwing the hat onto the table, "what you're asking me is impossible."

"No, it has to be!" He snapped, his eyes glaring at the material on the table because that was the only thing that stopped him from happiness and he had been staring at the same material for over a decade. "If it's not, I'm never going home. I'll be cursed to live in this house forever."

"What is so cursed about your life? Look at this place, it's beautiful. Doesn't seem cursed to me."

"It's cursed because, like everyone else here, what I love has been ripped from me. Take a look."

Stepping away from the desk, Emma slowly made her way over to the telescope which had been set up to watch a nearby house. The window came into focus and she squinted to see a woman, a familiar woman, it was Bridget. She was cleaning up the table after a meal and there were others in the room, a little girl with fair hair that helped her mother; they both smiled and giggled together. they looked happy.

A man came into view, he kissed both of their heads before disappearing into the next room. Emma had met Bridget, she knew that Henry believed her to be a fairy tale character and as much as she didn't want to admit it, something seemed to be making sense. She was being held hostage by someone who thought he was the Mad Hatter and Henry was convinced that Bridget was Alice, from Alice in Wonderland. Could their stories really be connected?

"Who are they?"

"My wife, Alice and my daughter, Grace. Here their names are Bridget and Paige, but they're not. They are my wife and my daughter." He told her sternly, already knowing what she was watching because he watched them every single day, living alone in a massive house, with their home in view. Just like Regina had planned, so she could torture him, "do you have any idea what it's like to watch them, day in and day out? Happy, with a new husband, with a new father."

"You think they're your family?" She scoffed, moving away from the telescope and approaching him, "your wife? Your daughter?"

"I don't think...I know. I remember." He explained to her, knowing that she may not believe him but the magic might work if she understood the price behind it, "they have no idea who I am, our life together, where we came from. I do. And that's my curse."

"To remember."

"What good is this house, these things, if I can't share them with my family?"

In the Enchanted Forest, Jefferson had wished for a big house so that his family could grow and thrive in wealth but now that he had the home he always desired, he was still not satisfied. He didn't have a family and he wished to take everything he had ever said back, he wanted his family not this house.