chapter 5

STORYBROOKE

STORYBROOKE

Jefferson looked terrifying as he sharpened his tools, taking great care at ensuring his scissors were perfectly polished for the task ahead. Of course, this behaviour meant that Emma believed she was being drugged for other reasons and she panicked.

She ran as quietly as she could through the maze of a house before finding a darkened room where Mary Margaret was tied up and gagged. She rushed to her friend's aid, attempting to cut the rope and get them both to safety but before they could escape, there were footsteps in the hall and a shadow covered the doorway.

"I see you found Spot," Jefferson smirked, cocking his gun in their direction.

Emma tried not to look scared as she stood her ground, "I've already called for backup; they'll be here any second."

"You haven't called anybody. For the same reason you didn't tell me about her, you don't want anybody to know you're here. Which means nobody does. So, now tie her back up."

"Emma." Mary Margaret tried to stop her but it was too late as Emma tied her friend back up to the chair and placed the gag in her mouth.

"It's going to be okay." Emma reassured her, pushing off her knees to stand up and raised an eyebrow at her kidnapper, "your telescope, you've been watching me. Why?"

"I need you to do something," he says, grabbing her arm roughly and dragging her out of the room,

Mary Margaret's eyes widened in fear as she muffled through her gag, "Emma - don't hurt her!"

Her threat wasn't answered as Jefferson just slammed the door on her, leaving her in the dark. Not only in the darkened room but to her own thoughts as she wondered what her friend was going to have to do with the dangerous man.

🐇🐇

THE ENCHANTED FOREST

Leaving his wife and daughter behind was one of the hardest things that Jefferson had ever had to do but the reason for what he was doing, kept him going. If he did this one favour for the queen, then they would live a life that they had dreamed of and would never have to worry about anything again.

They wouldn't be selling mushrooms at the market, worried about when their next meal would be or whether they could afford something nice for Grace. He would be able to spoil his family just as he wished he could and his debt would have been paid.

The evil queen's castle was just as dark and mysterious as he expected, he kept his eyes trained on the path ahead of him as the guards led him through the halls. This was a place that was unfamiliar to him but he was keeping himself prepared, just in case Regina wanted to throw a curveball into their agreement.

"Jefferson, so good to see you looking more like yourself." Regina smirked as she turned to welcome her guest, her eyes flickering down to the box that he carried, "I assume you're here because you've reconsidered my offer."

He kept his hands firmly on the box, not wanting to agree to something without everything on the table first, "I want your guarantee that if I do what you ask, my daughter will want for nothing."

"Of course-"

"And the things you promised, the thing we lost will be returned."

It wasn't often that he would speak of the thing that they had lost but Regina knew exactly what it was. She had made it obvious when she paid them a visit and insinuated that she could bring it back, Jefferson was still recovering from the trauma of that loss and was desperate to do anything that could bring true happiness back to his family.

Whether that came with power, wealth or something that had been long lost.

"Slightly trickier but...you have my word." She promised, only changing her mind when she saw his expression change. Regina needed his help and would agree to whatever he wanted as long as she had the hat, it wasn't clear if she was really interested in keeping her promise. "Now, let's open that box of yours and see what it can do."

Opening the box reminded Jefferson of the work that he had long forgotten. It had been tiring and dangerous but he had enjoyed jumping from place to place, he had enjoyed the missions that the dark one had sent him on; despite becoming close to losing himself several times.

Of course, when it came to his family, he would always make the same decision because they came before everything else. When he had to choose between his hat or his family, there was only one answer and he never regretted what he chose. However, there was a part of him that missed the power that the hat held and the chance to bring his family more than a few coins from the market.

He flicks open the box and reaches inside, ensuring to be very gentle with the hat.

"I do so like a man who dresses for the occasion." She admired him, Jefferson glanced over his shoulder and sent the queen a glare before she realised what she had said and quickly changes her words, "right, I do apologise, taken man."

"Happily married." He corrects, placing the hat carefully on the ground and using one hand to start spinning it, then he pushes Regina back slightly, "step back."

The pair watched in awe as a dark blue and purple mist comes from the hat, surrounding them. The hat continued to spin, quicker and quicker as the mist grew heavier and Regina waited to hear from the expert, she didn't know how to travel by hat.

Jefferson gestured to the spinning hat that had created some kind of portal in front of them and shouted above the noise, "after you!"

"Together!" Regina replies, her voice barely audible over the whooshing of the hat so she held out her hand for him to take.

"Hold on!" He grabbed her hand and they both jumped through the mist, ready to be hurtled away from the Enchanted Forest and away from everything that they knew.

a/n: if you're enjoying this book then please check out my other stories! 🥰 -lizzie ⭐️

date published: 23/03/22