chapter 8

WONDERLAND

WONDERLAND

Jefferson was shocked when he realised where the queen wanted to go, he hadn't been to Wonderland in many years but he still remembered how dangerous the place was. He remembered every little detail that Alice told him about the maze and he knew that it wasn't going to be an easy task to get them both through unharmed.

"You want to go in there?"

Regina shrugged her shoulders slightly, not seeming to care that what she was asking was practically unheard of because she always got what she wanted, one way or another. Her eyes glazed over the large forestry maze, "what I want is a short walk through."

"A short walk?" He scoffed, not thinking that she knew what she was getting herself into. He knew how dangerous this maze was and who was on the other side of it, he had heard the stories from his wife and did not want to end up in the same situation, "you know who this belongs to."

They both looked at the hedge in front of them which was decorated with red roses and held a heart shaped archway. Regina rolled her eyes at the display, obviously not too impressed with the design, "the Queen of Hearts, she's not one for subtlety."

"This wasn't part of our deal. You know what she does to anyone that crosses her?"

"Indeed, better than most." She steps into the maze and he stays behind so she turns to face him. "You can't leave Wonderland without me. Two go through, two go back. You're not gonna let the Queen of Hearts keep you from returning to your family, are you?" Jefferson hears what she says and quickly takes the lead, heading into the maze with Regina smirking behind him, "that's what I thought."

Knowing the maze better than her, he could remember what his wife had taught him and stopped Regina from walking any further by sticking out his hand. She looked confused as he stopped her, "wait." Leaning down, he picks up a stick which had been lying at their feet and throws it near to one of the hedges, which quickly swallows it entirely. She was more than shocked with this trick, he was more cautious about where to walk, "stay away from the walls."

"I've got a better idea; the walls should stay away from me," Regina waved her hand and used her magic to burn a path through the maze so that she could get to the middle much easier. She wasn't in the mood to be swallowed by the walls and was in a rush to get something very important. They continued walking until they reached the middle, where there was a small white building, covered in a golden roof.

Jefferson blocked her path before the queen could get closer, "I have a question."

"Are you going to ask me or just continue staring?" She snapped when she waited for him to ask but he just stood and stared at her; she was growing impatient with the hatter and wanted this conversation to be over.

"Why did I have to come? Alice knows Wonderland better than me."

"You're the one with the hat. I couldn't get here without you."