***Chapter 35: These Soft Secrets***

Emory's Point of View:

"Alright, enough with the bullshit. What the hell is going on?!"

Evelyn stares back at me with round eyes, silently. She was trembling, probably still in shock after what had happened between me and Nicolas. I couldn't tell if the fear in her eyes was because of me, or if it was coming from somewhere else. When we got back to the cabin, I had made a point to slam the door and lock it as hard as I could. She was trapped, and I wanted to make it clear that I was done playing games. I needed answers, and I needed them before morning. 

Without hesitating, I take out my knife, and walk swiftly towards Evelyn. She stumbles backwards out of reflex, and almost loses her balance completely. She squirms her wrists against her chains, and any protest she had was muffled by her gag. In one swift motion, I place the knife under the gag and slice it off. 

Evelyn doesn't react for a few moments. She looked almost surprised, as if she expected me to use the knife to hurt her. 

"Thank you . . ." she finally says in a weak voice. She looks up at me with those big brown eyes of hers, and all of the sudden I completely freeze. The alcohol must've been influencing my thinking more than I realized, because a huge wave of emotion seemed to crash into my brain. I'm suddenly aware of how close Evelyn is to me, and how there was a gap of only a few inches. I could kiss her so easily. I could just wrap my arms around her and never let go. The sudden urge to tangle my fingers in her hair, to bury my face in her neck, to completely give in to Evelyn's warmth and purity was overwhelming my body. Blood and heat rushed to my face, and I could hear my heart pounding in my ears. 

"Emory?"

Evelyn's voice snaps me back into focus.

"You've got some explaining to do," I say loudly, suddenly remembering the situation at hand. I had been frozen in a single moment of vulnerability and bliss, but now my aggravation was already bubbling back. "Tell me what's going on."

Evelyn looks down at the floor. She shifts uncomfortably, the chains rattling, and the fear in her eyes returns. She doesn't say anything. 

"Honeybird," I say harshly. "I'm not going to let you sleep or move an inch until you tell me what the hell is going on, so you better start talking."

My patience was wearing thin. My bones and muscles were already starting to swell in pain, since Scourge was kind enough to try and snap me in half like a pathetic stick. Not to mention the fact that every time my heart beat, I could feel hammers pounding through my skull.

I waited. She remained silent.

Out of frustration, I plant my hands on Evelyn's small, thin shoulders and shook her, forcing her to look at me. 

"I know you know the truth, Honeybird!!! Now tell me what happened!!!" 

Evelyn's eyes start to water, and she starts shaking her head. She looked determined not to cry, as if she would be punished if she did so. I couldn't tell what she was feeling, whether it was guilt, regret, or shame, and it was pissing me off. Images of Nicolas touching Evelyn and taking control over her burned into the backs of my eyelids, and all I wanted to do was tear the room apart.