Chapter 12: This Bird's Will to Keep Flying

Freezing water entrapped my entire body as I was swallowed underneath the dark ocean. I hadn't the slightest idea how to swim, which would explain why my heart was accelerating at inhuman speeds. Everything was dark, and it was impossible to tell which direction the surface was. My eyes began to sting from the saltwater, and I desperately searched for the way out. The currents showed no mercy as they tossed me around like seaweed, making it hard to hold in my breath.

Maybe this was a blessing. I did pray before this happened. Maybe God is letting me die here, so I wouldn't have to face the horrors of my new life. But what about Emory? I wondered what he was doing up there on the ship. Did he even see me fall? Was he sending out some sort of rescue device to save me?

Of course not, I told myself.

No amount of money is worth your life. And I highly doubt Emory would throw his away with both hands trying to save me. He's already had to save me. Twice. Once when I almost got raped, and twice with the captain. I was too much trouble, and I hoped I would just drown and sink to the bottom of the ocean.

Isn't that what I wanted anyway? I vaguely remembered when I was first thrown into that rat maze, and how much I wanted to die. Well, here's my chance. And now that Death is looking right at me, there was something inside me that willed me to try to survive.

Renewed with an unfamilliar fierceness, I could feel the adrenaline running through my body as I swam against the rough currents. I only had enough breath to last a few more seconds, and I prayed that would be enough. I blindly swam upwards, and I could feel my lungs getting ready to burst.

It's not enough, I told myself. I failed. It's over.

Just then, I broke through the surface, gasping. I don't know how it happened, but I had escaped from the dark abyss of what could've been my death. I only had a few moments of joy, however. The water was just as violent above as it was beneath me, and my head went back under the sea.

I forced myself to resurface, and keep my head above water. My arms and legs were exhausted from keeping myself afloat, but I had to keep going. The ship was suprisingly only a few yards away, and I had to swim for it.

I fought against the current taking me in the other direction with everything I had. Just a little bit more, I told myself. I couldn't stop. If I did, I would have no energy to get back out of the current. My arms were burning, and screaming for me to stop, but I ignored them. If I was going to die, it would've happened when I was trapped under the waves.

"Help!!!" I screamed. "Help me!!!"

I was close enough to the ship that anyone on deck could probably hear me. I just hoped that the waves didn't drown out my cries for help.

"HELP!!!"

My lungs were frying, and I had to get out of the water before I lost all of my strength. The waters showed no signs of slowing down, but I couldn't let that discourage me. Suddenly, I felt something grab my ankle, pulling me down.

I yanked, twisted, and wrestled myself out of the thing's grasp, but then I realized something. What had grabbed me was a human hand. Panicking, I found the hand which traced to a body, and even in the saltwater I knew exactly who it was.

Emory.

He didn't seem to be conscious, which scared me. Using my last bit of strength, I hauled his body up to the surface, then I bid him a last farewell as my body shut down from exhaustion. And I felt myself be lost in the sea forever.

&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&