Chapter 17: This Burning Blood

The emptiness inside my chest grew bigger and bigger as I watched Emory's ship burn to ash and sink to the bottom of the sea. I could feel the flames warming my face and the smell of smoke settle into my lungs. I don't know why it upset me so much to watch the ship go down. Perhaps because when I was captive on it, I knew what was to become of me. I knew my fate. I had almost become attached for some odd reason. But here, on this new ship, everything was unknown. Anything was possible. 

After Nicolas and the other men had discovered me, I was gagged and hogtied. They carried me all the way to the upper decks, and I was eventually transferred to their ship. They were all pirates, as I had suspected earlier. They had outnumbered Emory's ship by the dozens, and our ship had been forced to surrender. Everything and everyone was taken from Emory's ship, and then the pirates set the empty vessel on fire.

I still haven't seen Emory.

I caught myself looking for him among all of the chaos on the new pirate ship. All of the crew members were restrained and tied down, and Nicolas was holding me in place firmly by my shoulders. Could Emory have somehow found a way to escape?

"Good work, men!!" Nicolas announced to the deck. Emory's boat was nothing more, only a pile of ash and smoke floating on the waters. "This has been our most successful pillage yet!!" 

Nicolas bent down and whispered softly in my ear, "Don't worry, niña. I'll make sure no one hurts you." 

I squirmed in his grasp, uncomfortable. 

Where is Emory?

"Take the prisoners to the cells below the decks," Nicolas commanded. "If any of them try to resist, kill them on the spot."

Emory's crew immediately begun to be herded to a door that would eventually lead to the lower decks. What was going to happen to them down there? 

A dirty Hispanic man tried to take me away from Nicolas, but Nicolas stopped him. 

"Not this one, mi amigo." He moved me away from his grasp, almost protectively. "This one's going straight to the captain."

I was still gagged with my arms tied behind my back when Nicolas dragged me to the captain's quarters. The differences between this ship and Emory's were extremely prominent. The interior of the captain's room looked almost nothing like a pirate ship, more like a fancy and exotic mansion. The entire floor had soft and expensive red carpet interlaced within the wooden floorboards, and various paintings of oceans and lighthouses were decorated among the walls. There was a colossal window that took up the entire back wall revealing the blue ocean ahead, and in front of it was a large table with an even larger chair facing away from us. Someone appeared to be sitting in the chair.

"Captain," Nicolas said. His voice seemed to be a pitch higher, almost as if he were nervous. "I have brought you the prize."

The figure sitting in the chair didn't respond. The only thing I could see were thin, black gloved fingers tapping on the arm of the regal chair. 

Nicolas tried again, clearing his throat. "Captain, everything has gone according to plan. We've taken the entire ship's valuables and treasures, and the crew as prisoners. The ship was also burnt and destroyed, as you ordered, mi reina."

The fingers stopped tapping. The entire room was very tense, and I just wanted the captain to say something so I could get out of Nicolas's grasp.

And then the figure stood up, and walked slowly to face us. 

"Very good, Nicolas. You please me."

Nicolas let out a sigh of relief.

The captain was a woman, and a very beautiful one at that. Her beauty was actually very intimidating, and made me feel like I was shrinking. She was very tall, with tanned brown skin and plump red lips. She had a beauty mark on her cheek with glossy black hair that curled down to her waist. Her eyes were outlined in black, with perfectly arched eyebrows. She definitely had the body of a woman, curves and all. She was dressed in a black outfit that revealed and defined every part of her, especially her bust and legs. She also gave off the coldest of auras.

"So this is the little slave we've been looking for," she mused, staring me down. Her Hispanic accent was very thick and she rolled her r's delicately. "I hope you've been careful with it, it's worth more money than anything we have on this ship put together."

"I understand," Nicolas agreed quickly. "I've made sure to keep it away from all of the lustful men aboard."

"Excelente."

The captain walked towards me. My eyes grew large with fear and my pulse quickened. What was she planning on doing to me? 

She towered over me, inches away, and grabbed my face roughly. She was observing me.

"I don't see what's so desirable about you," she muttered coldly. I wasn't sure who she was talking to. "You aren't nearly as beautiful as someone with your value would expect."

Rage filled my expression, I could feel it. Blood boiled under my face, and the only thing I wanted to do was scratch this woman's eyes out. Who is she to tell me what I'm worth? Or that I'm not beautiful? 

After staring at me for a few moments, she slapped me straight across the face. I could feel Nicolas shudder.

"Tie this around its throat," the captain commanded, handing Nicolas a rope. "Don't let it out of your sight. I have a feeling this one might be difficult to control."

Nicolas bowed. "Of course, Captain Cassandra."

And with that, Nicolas tied the rope around my throat, and yanked me away, desperately wondering where Emory could possibly be.

*****************************************************

Hey everyone!! I'm really getting into this story, I just love the characters so much :) Depending on how much attention this part gets depends on when I'll update next, so keep on the look out for more parts coming up soon!! <3 and as always, thank you so much for reading, it just makes my heart soar!! <3 :D Feedback is always welcome, this is YOUR story as much as it is mine!!! <3