***Chapter 23: The Famished Crow***

(Emory's Point of View)

I don't remember falling asleep on the floor inside the closet, but I guess I must have dozed off. I woke up to that Spanish man pounding on the door, announcing that he had food for Evelyn. The thought of food made my stomach growl loudly, and the desire for food and drink made me instantly light-headed. 

I rubbed my face, attempting to wake myself up and not think about food. My body had become stiff and sore from staying in one position so long, and I fought the urge to stretch out my limbs. Wincing, I rubbed my neck and slowly tried to rub feeling back into my arms and legs. Someone with my body type isn't meant to stay cramped in a damn closet for this long. 

Outside the closet, I hear heavy breathing, almost sounding like an animal. 

"This is Scourge," the Spanish pirate explains a moment later. "He'll be your protection until we arrive to our destination."

Damn. Things just got a lot more difficult. Even if I wanted to show Evelyn where I was hiding, I wouldn't be able to with that bodyguard loafing around. From the sounds of it, the guy doesn't even sound human. That also creates a problem if I'm ever going to make it to the captain. If the captain has this kind of muscle guarding his prisoners, God only knows what kind of mutant giants are protecting the captain.

"H-h-hello . . ." Evelyn says timidly. It's the first time I've heard her speak in a while, and the sound of her voice quickens my pulse. A powerful urge to see her overcomes me, and I have to resist with all of my strength from looking outside the closet. 

An animal-like grunt replies to Evelyn. 

"Don't even try communicating with him," the pirate says sounding bored. "He doesn't speak, and he's about as smart as a strand of seaweed. I'm not even sure where the captain found him, to be honest with you. But he's pretty useful in combat, sí?

"I'll say . . ." Evelyn mutters under her breath.

From what I'm hearing, this thing has little, if any, intelligence. That might be my only advantage when trying to make my way to the captain's quarters. 

And then the entire room shakes, almost causing me to roll out of the closet completely. Did that thing just sit down? 

"Por favor," the pirate says calmly. "Eat."

The hollow feeling in my stomach returns, and it starts aching again. Dammit, I needed food. I closed my eyes and tried not to think about it, but I couldn't help but hear Evelyn eat, and my hunger was almost unbearable. Hopefully both of the pirates would leave soon, and that's when I'd reveal myself. I couldn't stay trapped in this closet and starve to death much longer.

Laughing, the pirate asked "When was the last time you've eaten?"

No answer. 

"Your last trafficker didn't feed you?"

A sharp pang of guilt hit me right in the gut. I remember taking her to get food, and I remember when she was almost brutally raped right under my nose. The image of her lying completely helpless on that mattress while being smothered by that piece of shit burned into my eyelids. I could feel my anger rising, and I tried taking a deep breath to calm myself. 

Evelyn didn't answer him.

I continued to sit in my position, cramped as ever. After some time, when Evelyn was finished eating, I guessed, the pirate asked if it were good, and she thanked him. 

"If you need anything, please," he said in a deep voice, slowly. "Tell me."

It took all of my self control not to leap out of the closet and strangle that bastard to death. I didn't have to look to know that he was probably touching her. He's a snake, and I hate him. He's clearly trying to bribe Evelyn with comfort and food so that she'll trust him. Does Evelyn know that? Does she even care? The more I sat in this closet, the more I wished he were dead. 

And then I realized . . . 

Aren't I even worse?

Some kind of sign of rejection happened, which lifted my spirits slightly, because then he sighed, frustrated. "Would it be too much to ask you your name? What's your name, señorita?"

Silence.

I figured she wouldn't answer, but then Evelyn spoke in a dead voice.

"Honeybird . . . I am called Honeybird."

"Honeybird?" the pirate repeated, rolling the R. "Such a sweet name. Yes . . . I think that suits you quite well, princesa."

He sounded like a predator, stalking his prey. Like a cat toying with a mouse before devouring it. I wanted him dead.

"You really are a fascinating one," He continued. "So quiet and obedient." 

Evelyn stayed silent.

He sighed. "It's a shame we have to sell you away. I think I'd like to . . . get to know you."

Oh, I bet he would. My nostrils flared.

And then I reminded myself why I was here. It wasn't to save Evelyn, it was to get my slave back from these dastardly pirates. I was here to get the money that I earned. Fair and square.

The door to the room opens. "I'm afraid I must go attend to business with the captain. Scourge will be guarding the door, so if you need anything, he'll take care of you, mi señora."

The bodyguard grunted, confirming his orders. That brute can't even speak, how was he supposed to take care of Evelyn?

"We should arrive to Mexico in a couple weeks. Enjoy the luxuries while you can."

The door closes, and they're gone.

I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding. So they're planning on selling Evelyn to Mexico after all, in my place. I guess that's somewhat a good thing, considering how I don't have to worry about the pirates travelling somewhere else all together. But if the captain honestly thinks that he's going to get that money and power, he has another thing coming. I've worked too damn hard for this little girl, and dammit, I'm going to accomplish what I set out to do.

And then I hear Evelyn weeping. She wasn't sobbing hysterically, she wasn't screaming for mercy, she was just . . . quietly crying. The sound of it made my heart break.

That's it, I decided. I reveal myself tonight. And we're getting off this pirate ship once and for all. 

******************************************************