Chapter 4: Departure

I couldn't beleive what was to become of me. I had just been sold to some monster somewhere in Mexico, where I would probably never see the light of day again. And Emory was taking me there just so he could get more money. It wasn't fair. I was just a mere pawn in this game these men were playing. A game where I didn't know the rules.

I was back in my cell again. Apparently, there had to be some arrangements made before we could depart. I didn't even know where I was. I could be in China for all I knew. But wherever I was, I knew we would have to take a boat to get to Mexico. Unless we were in America, which I highly doubted.

Either way, I had never felt more alone in my entire life. The only one who was even remotely kind to me was Gretel, who was probably fixing up some other poor girl to be sold. It just wasn't fair.

After waiting for what seemed like hours, my cell door finally opened. To my surpise, a very clean, well groomed, handsome man opened my door. He had swirly, tousled dark hair, and big brown chocolate eyes that looked at me cautiously.

"We're ready, let's go." He grunted.

I gasped. His voice . . . He was Emory!

"But you-" I choked.

"Come on, the boat isn't going to wait all day. Let's move it."

So we were taking a boat. I stumbled to my feet, and dared to say:

"Your mask . . . You're not . . . "

"I know, I know," he said annoyed. "Stop talking, and start moving."

"O-Okay . . ."

Emory led me down the hallways in the same fashion as before, practically dragging me with my chains. I could hear him sigh every once in a while, when I wasn't moving fast enough.

"Move it." He demanded every so often.

I would mumble an apology, but that only made me move slower.

It seemed like we arrived to our destination faster this time, since I had a small idea of where we were going. But that still didn't stop me from feeling terrified. Or from staring at Emory. He caught me staring, and I immediately looked away with a blush. I didn't dare look again.

I was overjoyed when we arrived outside to what seemed to be a boating dock. I was only overjoyed to be outside, since I had been in that rat maze for so long. As usual, Emory never let me sight-see, he only tugged on my chains and walked even faster than before. The air smelled of the ocean, and rotten food. I probably won't ever smell anything pleasant ever again, I thought sadly. But it was a beautiful day, nevertheless.

A small man with greasy hair approached us. He eyed me heavily before saying anything. In fact, Emory was the first to say anything at all.

"Alright, Grumsley." Emory said, annoyed as always. "Let's set sail and get out of here."

"The crew isn't even here yet, 098," he reported, still staring at me. 098? Was that some code these men used to communicate with each other?

"I was told we were ready to depart." Emory's voice raised a little.

"Well, we're not." Grumsley never took his gaze off of me. Or my body, I should say. I stepped a little behind Emory, like a small child would do to their mother.

"Grumsley, I don't have time for this!" Emory was shouting now. "When someone tells me the ship is ready, I expect it to be ready!" He paused.

"And if you don't stop staring at her, I will personally slice your eyes out of your skull, and feed them to the seagulls, do I make myself clear?!"

Grumsley stared up at Emory.

"Yes, sir."

It was obvious Emory was at authority here. I was just suprised he didn't call me "it" or "thing". I dared a glance up at him, seeing that his eyes were fiery with annoyance and anger.

"Good," Emory said harshly. "Now go make yourself useful and prepare us a room. That's all your good for anyway."

My heart dropped.

Us?!?

Meaning, me and Emory together?!

I could feel the blood draining from my face.

Grumsley looked as confused as I did.

"But, sir-"

Emory stalked right up to him, taking me with him, and took out a knife. He held it very close to his left eye, and muttered:

"Get us. A room." Just then, he left a small cut on Grumsely's temple. "Question me one more time, and it's off to the seagulls with you."

******************************************