Chapter 17 | That hurt

Raven sit on a table in a corner of the Lab, either observing, listening around or writing in her notebook.

"The gamma readings are definitely consistent with Selvig's report on the Tesseract." Dr Banner state while hovering a detector above Loki's scepter.

Raven take a quick peek at the screen Banner's looking at before making her own statement "It's gonna take weeks to process." She says standing up, with a grimace, not really delighted at the thoughts of wasting so much time. Luckily, Stark is quick to interfere. "If we bypass their mainframe and direct route to the homer cluster, we can clock this at around 600 teraflops."

Raven look up from the scepter she was studying, wrecking her brain to try and understand the terms Stark used, while Banner chuckle "All I packed was a toothbrush." Stark chuckle as well at the doctor's words, making his way towards him.

"Don't worry Banner, I packed light too, but it seems like someone didn't. You always travel with your wardrobe Stark ?" Raven ask the billionaire, who's now wearing a simple t-shirt and jeans. Stark reply with an eye roll before turning to Banner. "You know, you should come by Stark Tower some time. The top ten floor, all R&D, you'll love it. It's candy land for science buddies."

Unfortunately, Banner doesn't seem very exited by the idea. "Thanks, but hum, the last time I was in New York, I kinda broke Harlem."

Raven can't help but feel sorry for the man. She goes back in the corner of the lab, and take off her bulletproof vest, then proceed to take apart her guns to clean them, listening to Stark trying to convince his new best friend to come by his tower. "I promise a stress free environment. No tension, no surprises." But when the billionaire say his last word, Raven hear Banner groaning, instantly making her look at the scene.

Stark is looking at Banner in the eyes intensely, with a sort of electric needle-screw in hand, while Banner has his hand at his side where Stark just prick him "Nothing ?" the genius ask the scientist. Raven chuckle at their antics, but the sound of the door opening and Rogers's voice make her stop. "Hey ! are you nuts ?" the captain ask in disbelief.

The billionaire just ignore the super soldier, his interest still on the doctor who's back at his task, eager to finish it as soon as possible. "You really have got a lid on it, haven't you ? What's your secret ? Mellow jazz, bongo drums, huge bag of weed ?" He ask playfully. But captain Rogers doesn't seem to like his jokes, and is quick to reprimand him. "Is everything a joke to you ?" He ask to which Stark answer with a serious tone "Funny things are." Steve really is not very please by his answer. "Threatening the safety of everyone on this ship is not funny."

"Rogers, I'm sure doctor Banner wouldn't be on board if he couldn't handle pointy things and little shocks. No offence Doc." The three men turn to look at the raven haired young woman, who's now putting back her gun lightning speed which actually impress them. The scientist is quick to answer back. "None taken, Raven, you're right I wouldn't have come aboard if I couldn't handle these." It seems like his answer pleased the captain but Stark as well, who had to add fuel to the fire. "You're tip toeing big man. You need to strut." Of course Stark smart mouth annoy the Captain again, who scold him a second time "You need to focus on the problem, Mr Stark." But the Captain's words seems to offend the billionaire. "You think I'm not ? Why did Fury call us in ? Why now ? why not before ? What isn't he telling us ? I can't do the equation unless I have all the variables."

"Your not the only one who ask yourself those questions Stark. And of all of us, I think it's my brain, who's about to explode from all the questions. the main one being, why am I here ?" The ex assassin explain emphasizing on the 'I'  "But if you think your little device on Fury's panel is unnoticed, you're wrong. Don't worry I won't say anything. I mean, I want to know everything as well." She's quick to reassure him. These words seems to prick the Captain's interest who ask them "You think Fury's hiding something ?" "He's a spy. Captain, he's 'The' spy. His secrets have secrets." Stark reply.