part 4 of Harry is a grumpy mechanic and Y/N can't stop talking

iv.

"You look sleepy."

"Is that your kind way of saying I look like shit?"

Y/N knew she looked a little worse for wear this morning and for that, she would take absolutely no fault in. Sure, she was the one who said that she wanted to go with him to help tow someone, but Harry didn't have to agree. He didn't have to help her get up into the tow truck, keep the inside nice and toasty warm even after her shivering subsided. He didn't have to talk to her on the ride, inquiring about her workday the following morning, wondering if she was actually going to go now that he's had her out so late. He didn't have to send her mind into a tizzy either, when the guy who needed towing – an old gruff man that Harry was familiar with – chortled when he saw Y/N sat in the front seat, "You bring your girl around for towing now? I reckon that's better than sitting by your lonesome waiting for someone to call," and instead of correcting him how she thought he might have, instead Harry huffed a small, unbothered laugh through his nose.

"She's my helper t'night."

So of course Y/N is preoccupied with that the whole rest of the trip, from the street the man broke down at to the shop where Harry does all the work getting the car into the garage. The old man calls a taxi to come to pick him up, or at least she thinks so – she was kind of just guessing what was going on outside from where she sat in Harry's office. Where Harry had pointed toward and murmured just low enough for her to hear, "Go wait in there for me," and Y/N listened because she was nosy (and what else was she going to do?).

His office was simple and to the point which was precisely how she had imagined it; there was no extra fluff that would make it stand out from being any other person's office. There was one photo frame sat on the desk and when Y/N reached over to flip it around so she could see it, she was greeted with a photo of Strudel – she remembered taking the picture and sending it to him vaguely because she was stretched out on her back with a toy he bought her in her mouth. She thinks it's kind of precious that he's got her posted up here like a business executive who rarely sees their children but has photos all over the place so people know he has them. Only unlike a business executive working long hours at the office and coming around when the kids are asleep, Harry appears like clockwork usually around 7 PM to 8 PM on normal work nights, around the time Strudel is in her prime of "late evening zoomies".

To see that Strudel is important enough to him for her to have a framed picture on his desk makes her heart soft, but then it also gets her wondering – what does Harry's flat look like? She was only just then realizing that she had never been and for the life of her she could not imagine it. Would it be as plain as his office? Absolutely barren apart from necessities and a framed picture of Strudel somewhere he can look at? Or would there be a lot of character to it? Would he have paintings and posters? Are his walls painted? Is his bed cozy and filled with blankets and pillows or is there a singular comforter with one lone pillow at the center near the headboard? Does he keep the heat on? How big of a telly did he think he needed? Did he have one at all? What kind of food was in his fridge?

"Come on, we need to get back to your flat," Harry's voice startled her, almost enough that she nearly dropped the photo of Strudel but she catches it with her other hand (albeit clumsily), "Good thing you came with, that fucker usually likes to chat for an hour or so after the job's finished, but I told him I needed to get you home."

Y/N dropped any idea or thoughts about Harry's flat, for the time being, knowing it would be no use to sit wondering about it, and he definitely wasn't going to go out of his way to invite her over. Plus, she'd rather chew on broken glass than ask to go to his place and get rejected, so she just lets it go – she'll have to come up with what it looks like in her head.