part 2 of Y/N's flat caught on fire and Harry needs a roommate

ii.

"You're a virgin? Since when?"

Harry feels his cheeks warm to a blistering pink, grimacing at the surprise laced within Niall's inquiry. He'd been hesitant to bring it up to him in the first place, considering Niall is not the most tactful person Harry had met – but he is one of his closest friends, and Harry really, really needed advice. Besides, this is a subject that Harry would typically bring up to Mitch who would approach the situation pragmatically and give him the clearest suggestions that would work out best for him – but he can't necessarily utilize him this time. Because the advice he needed involved someone Mitch knows, and he didn't want to make him a mediator inadvertently.

However, in order for this dilemma to make any sense, Harry had to explain why he was so in his head about what happened between him and Y/N. Still, no amount of preparation could equip him for telling Niall that he still hadn't slept with anyone yet. Which shouldn't be embarrassing – when Harry chooses to have sex with someone is his business and there is no reason for him to feel ashamed of that...but knowing that doesn't make it any easier. Though he is pleasantly surprised to see, Niall is more surprised than he is humored by it.

"Um, since like – well, since always," Harry shrugged, wondering if he should have brought this up in a private setting rather than while they were at dinner (he isn't sure what about Greek food sparked the sudden urge to tell Niall everything, but he isn't one to question his impulses too often), "I just haven't been in the situation for it to happen."

"What about...oh, what was that one girl's name – you were like, head over heels for her two or so years ago?"

Harry winced at the mention, "Cora?"

Niall snapped his fingers, "That's the one! Yeah, I thought you guys fucked, wasn't that what you lot were doing all the time?" He used his other hand to grip his fork, stabbing into his pasta.

With a shake of his head, Harry pulled his water glass closer to his mouth, "No! We were – we spent a lot of time connecting with each other emotionally, but it never became physical before...well, you know, before she –"

"Cheated on you?" Niall filled in the blank, and Harry nodded, a soft sigh in his mouth – god, Niall was so blunt sometimes, but maybe that's what he needed. He's asking a question about a usually very blunt, to-the-point person, maybe she and Niall were cut from the same cloth? Or...well, if they were cut from the same cloth, Harry reckons it was at complete opposite ends of the fabric because Niall rarely shuts up whereas it's like pulling teeth to get Y/N to say more than a few sentences at a time. Still, both of them spoke their mind without much thought or worry, "Can't say I'm not surprised, I really thought you two were going at it like rabbits."

Harry gave a pensive shake of his head, "Well, that's not what I wanted to talk about, I just – basically, I had an experience with someone very recently and –"

"Is it your new roommate?"

Harry's brows furrowed, "How did you know?"

Niall hums, letting the forkful of noodles hover over his mouth for a moment before explaining, "Kinda figured you would end up doing something with her, you've been talkin' her up like she's a deity."

He's sure his cheeks are flaming now, "I – I do not," he dragged his cup closer to him, pulling the paper straw between his lips and slurping down his lemon infused water to cool himself down, before starting again with his voice quiet, "I talk about her a normal amount, I reckon, since I live with her and all, but yes – she...she walked in on me, and we did – well, we didn't fuck or anything, but she did touch me."