Chapter 2

The first rays of dawn showed over the treetops. Orange light glittered onto the snow, beginning to melt the white into green. But in the mountains, the snow was as thick as ever and the winds didn't warm in the least.

A small group of Baddies, consisting only of the Overlord, Lloyd, Ariana, Joseph, and Katy, were gathered outside the gates of Baddie Bend. Joseph stood off to the side, staring ahead at Lloyd and the Overlord, who were sharing words, as it seemed. Joseph felt another spike of envy go through him. Why did Lloyd, one of the newest and youngest Baddies, get to be so close to the Overlord? Didn't Joseph show nothing but loyalty for years? With a shake of his head, he pushed the thought away. They had bigger things to deal with right now.

"Joseph?" Ariana hissed as she slunk over to him.

Joseph turned his head as she came up beside him. She glanced in Lloyd's direction for a moment, making sure he didn't notice where she had gone. Then she turned back to Joseph and tugged at his sleeve urgently.

"Joseph, you've got to do something," she demanded.

"I know." Joseph took her hand in his for comfort. "Me and Katy will figure out something."

Ariana's eyes were desperate. "You're our last hope," she pushed.

Joseph glanced in Lloyd's direction, wondering if he truly was their last hope. "Don't worry," he went on to Ariana. "We'll do all we can."

"And if it's not enough?" Ariana breathed.

Joseph's gaze softened as he met hers. "Then I guess this is goodbye," he grumbled.

Ariana's eyes widened. "You mean, you don't think you're coming back?" she demanded.

"I don't know." Joseph shrugged. "But I do know that this party isn't coming back with all its members."

Ariana placed her hands on his shoulders. "You are coming back," she told him. "Okay?"

Joseph half-smiled. "I might, I might not." He leaned in closer to her. "But in case I don't, I have to do this."

Before Ariana could protest, he pressed his hand to the back of her head and locked his lips with hers.

Alarmed, Ariana jerked backward, breaking free from his grasp. Joseph's eyes glittered. "I told you I'd do that again someday, didn't I?" he murmured.

Suddenly furious, Ariana gave him a hard kick in the leg.

"Hey!" Joseph yelped, stumbling on his feet.

"What are you thinking?" she hissed, glancing over her shoulder. "Lloyd's right here!"

Joseph straightened up, regaining his cool. "I'm not afraid of him," he chortled.

Ariana gazed at him again, heart fluttering as she relived his kiss. "You should be," she spat. Then her eyes sparked. "After I do this."

Filling the gap between them again, she grabbed his collar and tugged him down to her level, pressing her lips against his in a longer kiss.

When it was through, Joseph gazed down at her, eyes gleaming with pleasure. "That's more like it," he chuckled.

Ariana gave a half-smirk. "For good luck," she whispered.

A small grin crossed Joseph's face. "In that case, maybe I will come back," he breathed.

Ariana returned his smile, and for a long moment they just stared into each other's eyes in silence.

Then Joseph's gaze shifted sideways as Ariana heard footsteps behind her. He stiffened and Ariana tensed, knowing it could only be one person.

"What's going on over here?" Lloyd's voice breathed in her ear as he placed his arm around her.