Chapter 14

The soft wind blew at Garmadon's face as he stood at the edge of the balcony, eyes focused on the distant mountains. He grabbed the railing, struggling to control the fear bubbling inside of him. Kai had promised he'd be back the night before, but now the second sun since his absence was setting, and Garmadon had a bad feeling that something had happened. Or else why wouldn't he be back by now?

The sensei barely heard the balcony doors sliding open until his brother walked up beside him. "Brother," Wu started, "what's troubling you?"

Garmadon didn't shift his gaze. "Nothing," he mumbled. "I'm just thinking."

Wu followed his gaze. "About?"

Garmadon shrugged softly, face remaining emotionless. "Nothing," he repeated.

Wu turned his head to stare at him. "Well, you're worried about something," he claimed. He raised an eyebrow. "Or, more likely, someone."

Tensing, Garmadon looked down at the railing and didn't respond. He hadn't told anyone where Kai had really gone, but maybe Wu had figured it out on his own. He always did.

"Sensei?"

Wu turned around to see Nya in the doorframe. She was rubbing her nose. "Do you know where my brother went?" she asked.

Wu blinked. "I was told Kai is attempting a visit with Cole," he answered.

Garmadon's grip tightened around the railing and he closed his eyes, gritting his teeth. Wu gazed back at him, already knowing his brother knew something he didn't. "Kai's not visiting Cole, is he?" he murmured calmly.

With a groan, Garmadon turned his gaze to the sky. "No," he sighed, unable to hold it in any longer. "I think he's gotten himself into worse trouble than that."

Wu's interest was piqued. "What do you mean?"

Garmadon hesitated for a moment, looking into the mountains again. Taking a deep breath, he tried not to let his voice waver as he burst out, "He went off on his own mission." He paused to draw in a shaky breath. "In Baddie Bend."

Wu's eyes widened in alarm and Nya let out a startled gasp. "Alone?" Wu prompted.

Garmadon nodded.

"Why didn't you stop him?" Wu demanded. "He could get himself killed!"

"I couldn't," Garmadon argued, turning to his brother. "You know there's no stopping him once his mind is made up."

"But what is he doing there?" Nya wondered, joining the senseis at the balcony's end.

Garmadon heaved another sigh. "He was searching for something," he explained. "I don't know. But he said he would be back before nightfall. Yesterday."

Panic flared in Nya's eyes. "What if something's happened to him?" she fretted. She turned to Wu. "We have to go after him!"

Wu looked at the ground, which worried Nya more. It was rare to see the sensei unable to make eye contact. "I know how you feel, Nya," he murmured, "but we have to think about what's best for the team."

Nya stared at him. "What are you talking about?" she breathed.

"We've already lost so many," Wu went on wearily. "Lloyd, Cole, and now Kai. Ninjago's only hope for survival is shrinking by the day. If we send Jay and Zane up there, or even all of us, we could lose a lot more."

Nya's eyes rounded in shock. "You're saying we're just going to abandon him?" she whispered.

Wu's eyes glittered when he could finally lift his head again. "We can't risk the fight. Not with so few numbers. The Baddies aren't just strong, they're merciless. If we go in there, we might never come back. For all we know, Kai could already..." His voice trailed off as Garmadon turned his head away.