Chapter 6

Nya clicked a button on the keyboard and a full-sized map of the forest to the mountains projected into the air. The others gathered around as she pointed to a red glowing dot. "We're here," she explained. "And if what we heard from Raymond is correct, Baddie Bend should be somewhere around..." Her fingers moved upward along the map. "Here," she concluded, resting her finger on the far side of the mountains.

Wu pushed his way forward to inspect the map. "I see." He nodded to himself before turning to face the others. "I'm not sure what Baddie Bend will mean to us if the Overlord already left for the Fifth Cliff, so that's what we'll have to find out." He turned his gaze to Jay, Zane, and Kai. "I want you three to travel up there and see what you can find. Try to find out if the Overlord left yet and, if he didn't, when he is."

The three ninja nodded in understanding.

Wu let out a long breath. "I know our team has somewhat shrank since our last mission, and I hate sending you out in such few numbers, but it's something we'll have to—"

Ding dong!

Wu's voice was interrupted by the doorbell.

The ninja all exchanged a surprised glance.

"Raymond and Cole," Kai immediately guessed.

"Cyrus Borg," Zane suggested.

"Misako," Garmadon countered.

"Lloyd," Jay added grimly.

Wu cocked his head toward the door. "Let's find out," he mumbled. Leaving Nya and Pixal to tend to the projection, Jay, Kai, Garmadon, and Zane followed Wu out of the room and stumbled down the stairs, each one rushing to prove their guess was correct. Wu had to quiet their chattering before letting in whoever was at their porch. Clearing his throat, the sensei opened the door.

But it wasn't anyone who they expected.

Two men they didn't recognize, one taller and seemingly older than the other. The taller was lean with messy dark brown hair and a huge scar across his face. The younger was more muscular and his hair was a lighter shade than the other. Instead of the three long scars that looked like the works of claws, he had an eyepatch across one eye.

The dark-haired man flashed a smile when the door opened. "Hello," he began. "Excuse us for intruding, but we've come a long way, and it's getting rather dark out. We've been told by a few people we met on the way that you'd offer us shelter for the night."

Wu blinked. "Oh... I see," he murmured, a bit wary. He couldn't ignore the thought of how dangerous the two men looked.

The younger man gave a quiet chuckle. "I think it'll be best if we introduce ourselves," he added, giving his companion a quick poke. "I'm Ronin, and this is my brother, Hugh."

Hugh flashed another smile, seeming uneasy.

"Well, it's nice to meet you," Wu replied.

Garmadon came forward until he was beside his brother. "May I ask, what you're doing around here?" he inquired, eyeing the brothers suspiciously. "I don't recall seeing you two around."

Hugh went silent, but Ronin gave another chuckle. "Sorry, we're travelers," he explained. "We planned to stay the night out in the forest, but we lost our tents in the storm."

Garmadon furrowed his eyebrows. "I don't remember a storm recently..."

"Oh, it was up in the mountains," Ronin said. "Wasn't around here."

Garmadon gave a disbelieving snort but didn't question them any further.

"I hope you don't mind, but we've allowed Winston to rest in your courtyard," Hugh continued.