Chapter 13

Cole picked at his food, his mind in absolute chaos. Two days had passed, and Vanessa was all he could think about. Her eyes. Her smile. Even her voice wouldn't stop ringing in his head. He didn't know why, but she made him feel different than any other person ever did. There was something special about her that made him feel... light. Lighter than air. Happy. And it was hard to make him happy those days. But why? he wondered. She hated me. He didn't understand why... but there was one thing he was certain of.

He had to see her again.

He had to talk to her, get to know her, understand what had happened when she left after the fight against the wolves. She said she didn't want me to talk to her, but maybe if I can find her again, I'll change her mind, he thought. It was worth a shot, anyway.

He already had it all worked out. Raymond was gone for the day to trade in one of the local villages. Cole had insisted on staying in the cave, although he hadn't told the man why. He knew he was thinking crazy. Dumb, even. But he didn't care. I have to see her again, and that's all that matters right now.

He had found an old black cloak underneath some of Raymond's belongings and he draped it over his shoulders, drawing the hood over his head. He took a deep breath, trying to steady his nerves. She lives in Baddie Bend, right? he mused. That shouldn't be too far from here...

He was going to sneak in. Find the girl that haunted his every thought. He felt determined to... and yet the thought of Baddie Bend sent fear down his spine. He had never been there before, but he'd heard the stories. Dark, damp, full of evil. His breath quickened. Maybe the rumors somehow got exaggerated, he tried to convince himself. But he knew just how much Lloyd terrified him. The former ninja was practically his biggest fear at the moment. And Baddie Bend was a whole town full of Lloyds. What if I freak out again?

He pushed away the thought of bumping into his former teammate before he could panic. I just won't get caught, he thought firmly. He had to find Vanessa. He just had to. And the longing he felt was enough to get him going. He would risk it if it meant seeing her again.

And with that as his mindset, he headed out of the cave.

* * *

It was a few hours later when Cole finally stumbled upon the Bend. Slowly, he made his way around the edge of the cliff toward the town in a clearing under the peaks. He paused as he came to a boulder and crouched behind it, peering up at the gates. I'm here, he thought with a gulp. He began to tremble as he observed the eerie-looking place, heart pounding in his chest. Shivering, he jolted himself from his thoughts. In and out, he told himself. No one will even know I was there. The blood suddenly rushed to his face. Except Vanessa.

Snow crunched in his right ear and he stiffened. As the footsteps came closer, he heard multiple exclamations and turned his head to spot a pair of Baddies making their way toward the Bend. Jolting, Cole ducked farther down, eyeing the two warily and hoping they wouldn't see him. They didn't even turn his way. Instead, they walked straight to the gates and, suddenly, jerked in synchronization and Cole saw some sort of bright wave shoot around the Bend. His eyes rounded as he watched the two continue, and, when they had gotten through the gates, the light spiraled back toward them before fading completely again.

Tilting his head, Cole pondered this before coming to the realization that the town must be protected with a kind of forcefield. And for all I know, I could set off an alarm if I try to get through, he mused with frustration. He scratched his chin. I'll have to slip in after someone, he eventually concluded.

"Hey, guys!" a voice shouted from farther down the mountain. "Wait for me!"

Cole snapped to immediate alert as a smaller and seemingly younger Baddie raced after the earlier two. The black ninja jumped to his feet. It's now or never, he thought. Pulling his cloak higher over his head, he slunk along the shadows as the boy headed for the gates. Cole spotted the spark of light as the Baddie entered the Bend and, holding his breath, he darted forward. The wave began to swirl back toward him and he hurriedly skidded through the gates, tumbling toward the shadows before he could think. Mind whirling, he scrabbled along the inside of the gate until he was completely shadowed and he drew up against the wall, shutting his eyes as he waited to see if someone had spotted him.