Chapter 7

Kai stared at the two pegs in the wall... the pegs that had once held That Sword. He looked down at his stomach, frowning. He didn't feel anything. He hadn't felt anything in months. Why hadn't he? What happened?

"Hey," Garmadon's voice came from behind. "What are you thinking about?"

Kai turned his gaze back to the wall as the sensei came up beside him. "Nothing," he mumbled. "I just... haven't gotten a vision in a while."

Garmadon rested his hand on his shoulder. "Are you feeling okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, I just don't know what happened," Kai sighed. "After my vision of the rooftop, I didn't feel much else."

Garmadon tipped his head. "You never told me about that one," he murmured.

Kai didn't look at him. "Well, that was when you..." His voice trailed off. "...you know."

Garmadon's gaze softened. "I am sorry about that, Kai," he breathed. "I shouldn't have treated you like that."

"I know. I wasn't exactly that nice, either." Kai shuffled his feet. "And I know you were just scared. Scared for your son's life. Fear can make you do crazy things sometimes."

Garmadon gave a weak smile. "We both were," he added.

Kai nodded and went silent for a moment. Then he lifted his head again. "Let's just, put that behind us, alright? Because I'm gonna need you."

Garmadon gave a soft chuckle. "Alright, deal," he said.

Kai half-smiled and they went into another silence. The red ninja looked down at his wrist and began rubbing it. "During the battle on the helicopter, Lloyd struck me with That Sword again," he continued, remembering how the Baddie had sliced his arm to release the red ninja's grip on his neck. "Do you think that's what did it?"

"Could be," Garmadon offered. "Did you feel anything afterward?"

Kai's eyes deepened with memories. "I felt... a bit weak," he admitted. "But I don't know. There were a lot of things going on."

Garmadon thought for a moment. "What about Cole?" he asked. "Has anything happened to his power?"

Kai scratched his head. "I-I don't know," he repeated. "Any of those nightmares he's been having could be visions. And his stomach could be in pain, but I bet he can't really tell with all the other pain he's been feeling." He heaved a sigh. "I just feel like I'm being punished or something. Because of what I've done."

Garmadon blinked. "What would be punishing you?"

"Whatever gave me the power in the first place," Kai grumbled.

Garmadon looked thoughtful. "Or it could be rewarding you," he suggested. "For doing the right thing in the end. I mean, those visions weren't exactly a luxury, were they?"

Kai snorted. "Not really," he agreed. "But I'm just confused. Without the power, I don't really know what's coming next." He looked at the ground.

Garmadon stared at him, seeing the nervousness in his eyes. "Hey, what else is bothering you?" he inquired.

Kai hesitated a moment. "Do you remember my first vision?" he began. "With Lloyd and That Sword and the disappearing shadows..."

Garmadon nodded.

"The last thing I saw were those eyes," Kai murmured. "The eyes of one who couldn't be trusted."

"I remember you telling me that," Garmadon put in.

Kai swallowed. "I-I used to think they were Lloyd's," he confessed. "I... I thought they were warning me not to trust him. But now I wonder... if those eyes were my own."