Chapter 11

Birds chirped in the distance and cool winds blew into the cave as Raymond knelt beside the fire, cooking their lunch. Cole was standing near the mouth of the cave, gazing out at the endless rocks and snow. A week had passed, and the black ninja was getting stronger. His mind seemed to be clearing and his left eye had perfect vision once again. It was his right eye that was still bruised and unhealed. He couldn't see a thing from it and Raymond would often find him rubbing and messing with it as if trying to get his vision working again. But Raymond knew it was pointless. His eye had received permanent damage.

When Cole had finally come out of his corner and started walking again, Raymond realized he was severely underweight. As soon as the ninja was able Raymond changed his meals from soup to meat—and thick meat. Cole was hesitant to eat so much and they had to take it little by little, but Raymond had enough determination to start the boy's health going again. In addition, the two would take a walk around the mountain paths every morning, each day going farther than the last. It was to build up Cole's strength as well as get him out of the darkness where he was so accustomed to hiding into. It had been difficult the first few times to get him out of the cave, but he was slowly—very slowly—getting used to it. Especially with being blind in one eye, he was extra jumpy and cautious and stumbled on his feet often. It was hard to balance both the ninja's physical and mental needs, but Raymond had to admit that the process was working.

"Lunch is ready," Raymond called, placing the meat on a plate.

Cole turned around, resting his one-eyed gaze on the food. His face seemed to turn green with sickness and he shook his head. "I-I'm not hungry," he rasped.

Raymond frowned. "You're still too thin," he murmured. "You need to eat."

"I-I h-had a big breakfast." Cole's voice was hoarse. "I can't eat any more or I'll puke." He gazed back into the distance.

With a submissive sigh, Raymond laid the plate down and headed over to the ninja. His gaze was darting around and, with a soft grunt, he began rubbing his injured eye. Softly, Raymond touched the ninja's hand and drew it away from his face.

"You shouldn't keep touching it," he advised. "You could make it worse."

Cole heaved a sigh. "I'm just trying to get used to it," he mumbled. "Being half-blind, I mean. I don't know if it'll heal."

Raymond felt a rush of sympathy for the black ninja as he noticed how discouraged the boy sounded. "Does it hurt?" he asked, skirting the subject.

"Just as much as everything else," Cole said with a shiver.

Raymond rested a hand on his shoulder. "It won't hurt forever," he murmured.

"That depends." Cole looked at his feet. "Forever is a long time."

Raymond went silent for a moment, thinking, before clearing his throat. "Maybe a bit of exercise will work you an appetite," he stated. Grabbing his bow as well as the one he meant for Cole, he headed forward. "Come on!"

Cole hesitated, his open eye flashing with panic as he went to feel the damaged side of his face. Heart softening, Raymond turned back to him and placed his arm around him. "I'll help you," he offered.

Drawing in a deep breath, Cole nodded and took a shaky step forward. They headed down the slope side by side, Raymond firmly guiding Cole away from anything that might trip him. The black ninja's good eye was alert and his head swiveled around anxiously as he tried to make up for his missing vision. As they walked through the snow-covered bushes and trees, Cole stumbled on his feet multiple times and Raymond had to steady him before he fell until, eventually, the ninja's gaze locked on the ground to watch where he was walking.