Chapter 9

"Almost there!" Zane called from above.

"Ahh!" Jay gasped as he lost his grip.

Kai grunted as the blue ninja knocked into him and he shoved him to the side. "Jay!"

Panting, Jay dug his hands into the snow again. "Well, sorry," he snapped, "but I'm not used to climbing mountains."

Kai rolled his eyes and heaved himself upward, eyes widening as his hand slipped off the rock he had grabbed. Jay laughed as the red ninja began to slide downward until he stumbled into the blue ninja and they both jerked downward another pace.

"Hurry up, you two!" Zane's voice was distant now as he climbed the cliff with ease.

Kai huffed. "Does that guy have to be perfect at everything?" he scowled in frustration.

"Nindroids," Jay muttered.

Grunting, the two continued to struggle upward until they at last reached the top of the mountain. Chest heaving, Kai grabbed the surface and pulled himself up onto it, gasping as he crashed to the ground. Jay flopped down beside him, exhausted.

"There was definitely an easier way up than that," Kai panted.

"I bet Zane just wanted to see us fall," Jay snorted.

As they stared at the sky, catching their breath, Zane's face suddenly appeared looking over them. His eyes were alight with amusement. "What took you so long?"

Scowling, Kai sat up and gave Jay a tough nudge. "Come on," he grunted.

The two heaved themselves to their feet as Zane walked a few paces forward. "I spotted a number of traces of people over there," he told them. "It's our best bet. I'll double-check."

Before they could even think about what he had just said, the white ninja disappeared into the snow. Jay sniffed and crossed his arms. "He doesn't even get tired," he huffed.

But Kai barely heard the blue ninja's voice. He stood at the ridge of the cliff, gazing over the blanket of mountains beyond the one they stood on. He, Jay, and Zane had left the monastery to search for Baddie Bend, but something was missing. Kai felt uncomfortable. It had been a hard change after Lloyd quit the team, but it felt even stranger without Cole. The four of them had always stuck together. They had known each other years before they even met Lloyd. Losing Cole would surely break up the rest of the fragile team.

"You're blaming yourself again."

Kai didn't realize Jay had drawn up beside him until then.

"Why do you keep doing that?"

Kai shifted from one foot to the other. "Do you think he's okay?" he murmured. "What if Raymond couldn't keep him alive?"

"I didn't think you'd be the one worrying," Jay commented. "That's usually my job."

Kai turned his gaze to the ground and didn't respond.

Jay sighed. "Look, Kai, I don't understand how you think everyone blames you," he continued more seriously. "If anyone is to blame, it's me."

Kai looked up at him, seeming surprised. "But it wasn't your fault," he said.

Jay's eyes rounded. "Uh—hello?" he scoffed. "I hurt Cole the worst. Even Lloyd was horrified at what I'd done!" He turned his head away. "I don't know why anyone's forgiven me for that. I didn't even forgive myself."

"I didn't forgive myself either," Kai admitted. He gave an exasperated sigh. "Come on, we were monsters!" he shouted in frustration. "Why can't anyone admit that? We know it's true."