Chapter 22

The ninja were gathered outside the garage, preparing for their expedition. The Bounty was finally finished, and they were all packed and ready to go after the Overlord. Wu was giving Jay and Zane final instructions beside the ship, while Garmadon and Kai were talking a few feet away. Nya and Pixal were onboard, fixing the final touches.

"You must go with haste," Wu told the two ninja. "If you can't reach the Overlord before he arrives at the Fifth Cliff, catch him on the way back. We mustn't let him return with a weapon as powerful as the elemental weapons combined."

As he went on, the three groups began to merge together again.

"What about me?" Nya asked. "I can go with them."

Wu gazed at her. "We need you here," he said gently. "With them gone, there's only you and my brother and I left to defend the monastery as well as the City. And with Lloyd still at large, we don't want to leave the people unprotected."

"I understand, Sensei," Nya murmured, dipping her head.

"Make sure to keep communication," the sensei continued, holding out their communication devices. "You'll be out there for at least a few months."

Jay and Zane grabbed their devices and strapped them on, but Kai held back. He was staring at the last device, but his eyes seemed distant, as if he wasn't really seeing it.

"Kai?" Wu prompted, puzzled.

Kai turned his head toward the sensei slightly, only half-hearing him. Waveringly, he reached out and took the device, his fingers fumbling over it as he struggled to strap it to his wrist. But the others didn't seem to notice as Zane and Jay headed onto the Bounty and Wu stepped back with Pixal, Nya, and Garmadon.

"Now, go, ninja," Wu announced. "Stop the Overlord and—"

"Sensei?" Kai interrupted suddenly.

Both senseis turned toward him, but it was clear he was staring at Garmadon. The red ninja's eyes were wild with panic and he started to stagger on his feet. "Sensei!"

Garmadon rushed over to him, catching him before he fell over. "What's wrong?" he demanded, immediately concerned.

"It's my... my..." Kai gazed downward, finding a faint glow underneath his shirt.

Garmadon's eyes rounded as he saw it, too. "It's happening again?" he breathed, looking up at him again.

Nodding, Kai wrapped his arm around his stomach, wincing. Garmadon glanced around to see if the others were watching, finding his gaze locking with his brother's. Without explanation, Wu understood, and he turned to direct the others' attention away from them.

"Lloyd?" Garmadon murmured to the red ninja.

"No, i-it's Cole," Kai rasped out. "Something... Something happened..." He went silent for a moment before letting out a sudden gasp. "He's hurt! And it feels like he's... he's..." Kai's voice trailed off and he stumbled away from the sensei. "He needs help! I-I've seen him! I know where he is!"

"What are you talking about?" Garmadon exclaimed, breath quickening.

"He's alone," Kai went on, voice short with panic. "And I have to get to him before he's gone!" Without another word, he whipped around and raced for the trees.

"Gone?" Garmadon echoed, raising his voice to reach the ninja. "Wait! We'll get the others to help!"

"There's no time!" Kai called over his shoulder.

Garmadon stared after him helplessly. "At least take your communicator!"

Kai flared his arm above his head, revealing the communication device in his hand. "Got it!" he shouted back.