Chapter 8

Softly, Raymond lifted Cole's chin and put the spoon to his mouth. The black ninja let the soup go down his throat willingly before swallowing. He was sitting up against the wall now. Raymond knew he was getting stronger. He had used to have to massage Cole's throat to help him swallow, but now the black ninja could eat almost completely on his own. The only thing holding him back from doing so was his vision. The one eye that had been struck with Jay's nunchucks still refused to open again, and the other was still foggy with pain. Although the rest of his body was starting to recover, Raymond had a feeling his eyesight might have some permanent damage.

The man glanced around the cave before rising to his feet. "I should get hunting," he said, "or we'll have nothing to eat for lunch." He rested a hand on Cole's shoulder and his voice softened. "Are you gonna be okay staying here alone for a while?"

Cole's open, distant-looking eye dragged upward to rest on the man and he gave a small nod. Raymond smiled and patted the ninja's shoulder before drawing away. Cole's gaze stayed on him until he disappeared out the cave mouth. Letting out a long sigh, the black ninja closed his eye, running his hands through the pile of sand beside him. He dragged his fingers around, creating patterns he couldn't see. It was the feeling of the soothing texture against his skin that calmed him.

He sat there for a while longer until he felt well enough to try and get to his feet. He felt around until he found the wall and pressed his hands against it. With a sharp breath, he pulled himself upward, legs shaking as he managed to stand. A few days ago, he had given up. He hadn't been able to handle his anxiety and fear. He had been ready to die. But Raymond had been kind and gentle with him, and he had slowly felt his will to live come back. Maybe now, with Raymond beside him to take care of him, he would find a reason to live again.

Opening his good eye again, Cole made out the walls of the cave and a few blurry objects scattered near them. Clutching the crevices in the wall, he took a few shaky steps forward, gasping as he nearly fell on his face. He paused for a moment, panting, before pushing onward.

He hadn't walked on his own for weeks, but he was determined to get the hang of things again. Then maybe he could help Raymond around the cave and prove himself useful. He was tired of being a burden. It was time he did something to repay the man from the mountains.

But he seemed to be thinking these things too early.

For as he was walking along the wall, trying to get used to his feet, his hand hit something other than stone. Puzzled, he moved his hand to feel the long rod and followed it upward until his fingers met a sharp, cold metal.

For a moment time stopped.

Then a million icicles hit him at once. With an alarmed cry, he flung himself backward, tumbling to the ground. Fear clouded his mind and he crushed himself into the corner, shaking violently. Gasping for breath, he stared back at the spear on the wall and immediately another rush of dread shot through him. It was too easy to imagine the weapon piercing him, hurting him. Carried by a specific someone.

Heart pounding, he chewed at his lip, whining. He gnawed so hard that he felt a drop of blood shoot into his mouth and he gasped, spitting it desperately out again. Dark memories began to surround him and he found himself plunging his hand into the depths of his sleeve and chewing on the hanging fabric that had once held his wrist.

His ears picked up a muffled voice and he felt a touch to his shoulder. Instinctively, he jerked backward, panic rising inside of him. His eye rounded with fear until he made out the face of Raymond in front of him. With a pitiful wail, the ninja threw himself against the man, wrapping his arms around him and clinging for dear life.

"Shh, it's okay," Raymond whispered, placing his arms around the boy. "What happened?"

Cole's panicked gaze trailed over to the weapons on the wall again before he buried his face in the man's cloak, whimpering. Raymond's face softened as he understood and he propped himself up beside Cole until the black ninja was sitting comfortably beside him. He made a mental note to hide his weapons as Cole sank into his warmth, finally beginning to calm down.